Views: 13842|Replies: 28

Taiwan missing out on China boom [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-10-25 02:39:19 |Display all floors
The other day I was watching a documentary on the history of hand-held weapons on TV, and of course they talked about how gun powder was first invented in China. My Hong Kong friend immediately commented that if we (Chinese people) back then could see the simple extended application of it and invented guns and cannons, the world would've been colonized by the Chinese instead. Then I started thinking: Do we Chinese people always fall short of the next big thing because we tend to become complacent and arrogant? We engineered the world's most advanced navigation system and discovered the world 80 years before Colombus, and we simply stopped there. We invented paper and printing but we failed to educate our people like the west did.

Then I started thinking if this trait still exist among the Chinese today. First of all, lets look at the Chinese I'm most familiar with: Taiwanese Chinese. Although Taiwan is believed to have achieved an economic miracle, there has been no sustained signs of growth ever since the 90s. Indeed, Taiwanese people, much like their Chinese ancestors who invented paper, compass, and gun powder, simply stopped there because they became complacent. In addition to this ill-advised complacency, many Taiwanese people have also developed a false sense of pride, or arrogance - a feeling of superiority over their compatriots across the straight. These people have become complacent because they are either very rich or they are blind followers of the pro-independence rhetorics. Either way, they are out of touch with economic reality.... or the simple reality that exports accounts more than 30% of Taiwan's GDP and that more than 40% of Taiwan's production lines have been moved to China. Taiwan's once very profitable transport business has also experienced a fast decline. Big foreign transport/frieght companies are now considering leaving Taiwan, if they haven't already. If there is no breakthrough on direct links with China, Taiwan's unemployment rate will be on the rise soon.

Taiwanese people have been misled by their DPP government, which says its "contribution to democracy" is a cornerstone of Taiwan's prosperity when it's everything but. The matter of fact is that those who tout Taiwan independence and those who follow it have different interests and motives than the majority of the hardworking middle-to-upper class businessmen in Taiwan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-25 08:46:46 |Display all floors

good post twchinese

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-10-25 10:33:13 |Display all floors

Mr. TwChinese (aka scared gal), i understand your misery about Taiwan!

You see, the cultural traits of the Taiwanese indigeneous and immigrant class in more atuned to product manufacture or processing. The impact of the poor economic condition "in your own words" is a result of this national and imported immigrant culture.

Yes, being productive is important...being stingy makes you rich..up to a point....then you got to change to gain benefits.

However, i prefer Weng Choons to emigrate to Central America or Carribean when your expertise can do a lot of good to the Hispanics..who needs your productive capability.

that's all i can say, stay stagnant or continue to be properous by migrating to Central America....ha ha ha

fm
Cheeky Game Master
Lord of the code

Council of Malaya
elders.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-25 16:19:49 |Display all floors

twchinese

You are quite wrong.

All the big guns in the tech industry are opening new next generation PLants in the R O C , bigger and better . The Unemployment is now 4% and will be below that figure next year, lowest since year 2000.

The Foreign reserves are up.

Hi Quality Foreign Investments still coming here in record numbers.

The Taiwanese may have learnt their lessons well from the Koreans who by holding onto the Best Developments in Korea and not transfering the technology and know how , have been extremely successful in home grown development. and Internationalizing Home grown brands like Samsung and LG, Brands who were virtualy nothing 5 years ago.

What publication are you reading ????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-11-26 18:17:25 |Display all floors

Well Mr. Ajeet from the Little Red Dot...the problem of staying stagnant..

...is due to having no competitor...

when you have no competitor, you tend to be more stagnant, lazy.......

and that's where Singapore is heading to...to the rubbish bin of history.

everything owned by the government, a BIG POT...

What drugs are you guys on in Singapore?

believe in Cardinal government, BIG POT system, making Bees and Sheeps of your citizens.....big TOILET..that's the little Red Dot....

reaching ROCK BOTTOM soon.....

we will just "ignore the little dot" ...and it will sink into oblivion with lazy, greedy leaders.

ha ha ha

cheerios!

fm
Cheeky Game Master
Lord of the code

Council of Malaya.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-15 09:20:53 |Display all floors
Apparently, Ajeet holds the record of being the first and currently the only one, banned from China Resurgent Forum.

Use magic tools Report

crazyazn has been deleted
Post time 2005-12-20 23:50:26 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.