Views: 2872|Replies: 7

Learning Chinese Mandarin and need some help. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-8-27 09:43:46 |Display all floors
I am learning Mandarin the "imsleur way". Pimsleur teaches you by having people (1 woman/1man) speak the language you hear and speak like them.

Anyways, there are a couple of words I have problem understanding their pronounciation (how they are to be said). I know the term for it, but just can not understand how to speak it.

I want to know how they are spelled phonetically. For those who don't know what phonetically means, its they way something is said rather than spelled. Example: Cat, it has a "C", but should be spelled Kat becuase that is how it is pronounced by mouth.

With the above said, how do you say (in Mandarin):

Husband?
Something? Like in Having a little (eddire) "something" to eat

Every time I run into words that I cannot understand their pronounciation I will post up here and will be appreciative of any help I get!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-27 10:21:22 |Display all floors

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-27 10:21:56 |Display all floors

Hard to transcribe accurately. Try to imitate and get help face to face from a g

Husband:  
(Colloquial, jocular) lao-gong 老公 [ “o” pronounced as in American “go”]
(More formal)  ‘zhang-fu 丈夫 [ the “fu” weakly uttered]
(More “imported” style from overseas)  hsien -sheng 先生 [ the “e” in “sheng” similar to the pronunciation of the “o” in “Samson”

Something:
Dong-see 东西 [ the “o” as in American “go”; the “ee” is shorter and weaker than that in English “see”]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-27 15:11:13 |Display all floors

Thank you for helping me!

Just to let you all know, I failed to mention that the speakers (woman/man) are native Mandarin speakers.

As for the "dong-see", I heard it again and again; and it sounds more like "don-she". Does that sound right?

And for Husband, I am hearing close to jen-jung? The "j" can probably be a "sh" or "ch" as I have a hard time telling them apart.

Please (like please come in) is "chen"? And how would you say the whole phrase "please come-in"? Chen jin?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-28 06:15:49 |Display all floors

dong xi

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-28 06:55:42 |Display all floors

That's the whole reason I am here!

Getting a native Mandarin speaker would be the best way, but I don't have that opportunity. Hence the reason why I come to these forums.

I am just getting into the tones myself. Example Hui for "drink" with a high tone and Hui for "and" with a low tone.

Othar than coming to these forums (and getting a Native Mandarin speaker when the oppurtunity presents itself), what would be the best way to learn how to pronounce these words correctly?

Again, the speakers on Pimsleur CD where I am learing Mandarin are Native speakers.

THank you all!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-8-28 08:08:04 |Display all floors

your situation doesn't sound very hopeful

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.