Author: davebrown

You got what you deserved, Big Liar [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-7-17 18:36:04 |Display all floors

Whampoa again

You say:

>>> I don’t follow your point a. Clarify and I will respond
a. The majority of people do not believe in their leadership and the incumbents would not hold onto their power if an alternative was made available; or

b. The majority of the population do not know what is good for them and need to be told.”

Well, in point a. I was saying that it is possible that a government will prevent their people from having a say in who leads them because they do not wish to face the possibility of losing their power. If there is no election then there is no risk for them, also no accountability.

I think you misunderstood my second point. In no way was I saying that the Chinese people do not know what is good for them, I was saying that must be the opinion of the government if they do not want the people to have any input into who leads them.

P.S. I reject the idea that there is a collective "West" that is responsible for each others actions. I am not American, I am not British either. I am a New Zealander living in Australia and as such I have no say whatsoever in those other countries decisions or elections. That is not to say I agree or disagree with any or all of their actions either. I think on the whole spectrum of political ideologies we are closer with them than with a lot of other countries but that is it. For instance, in New Zealand in the 1980's our major military allies were Australia and the US. However the US tried to pressure New Zealand into allowing their nuclear weapons into our country and we had a strict anti-nuclear stance in NZ. As a result we left our only military allies over the dispute. We are many countries with many different points of view. So you can see there is not one single body which is the "West" and we cannot be held responsible as a whole. France and Germany are also Western countries that opposed many of the things you hold Britain and the US in contempt over.

I will reiterate, I have great affection for the Chinese and the Chinese culture but I will not let that blind me to some things which I believe are faults, just as I will try to keep an open mind about faults of my own.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-18 05:58:47 |Display all floors

Mods, thanks ...

for the belated posting.  It would have taken a different turn if it had appeared earlier.

Chen re da tie.

---
Whampoa

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-18 06:19:25 |Display all floors

Urbexer, are you SURE?

If we take any UK high school or college passing examinations as a benchmark, at 37% the reigning Labour Party has failed to cross the 40% passing mark.  It makes no difference that the Conservative Party was any better; not if you can still recall (and if you are a UK citizen) how the Conservative got booted out 8 years ago.  It was a landslide victory for the Labour then.

How sad that you are given a choice and your choice is which better failures will serve well?

What a sea change after the first term in office – from a landslide to a flop?  Whose fault is it?  The Party or the people’s (misjudgement)?

---
Whampoa

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-18 06:29:11 |Display all floors

Again Urbexer ...

(one last post for the day. Umagaman, I will respond to you another time)

If UK has to resort to sealing its border .....

You have conceded defeat.

Thanks for your support.

---
Whampoa

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-18 08:39:47 |Display all floors

jealousy?

France and Germany are also Western countries that opposed many of the things you hold Britain and the US in contempt over.

Mostly jealousy because we won the rights to the olympic games and are the most successful, dynamic country in Europe.

Bitch all you like, we won the games!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-18 09:53:05 |Display all floors

Urbexer

I'm not "bitching" about anything, what do the Olympics have to do with anything I posted? But since you raised the issue of sports, are you a little bit sensitive around "colonials" like myself with the English having just lost the one day cricket series to Australia and with the British and Irish Lions having been taught a comprehensive rugby lesson by the New Zealand All Blacks? (All in good fun!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-19 07:02:02 |Display all floors

Alright, Umagaman …

"You are not the first and will not be the last (foreigner) ….”

I do often disagree with my parents and friends, whom I love, but I don’t change them; I accept them for what they are and respect that they are different from me.

On your point a., we have seen how unreliable people’s choices can be.  No doubt, it would be great to feel that you have chosen or are able to choose, but it makes no difference unless you have real understanding over happenings around you and that comes with knowledge and education.

We have seen the sad state of America, for example.  Many do not know what is going on outside their own comfort zone.  Their government, with all intents and purposes, were only too pleased to brainwash them.  In a situation like this, what does it matter that you have free election – when you choose what they (the politicians) want you to choose.  I read an article some time back on ‘Mind Control’ in America where the writer, a parent, expressed disgust at what children were taught in American schools and the way they were brainwashed from young to be patriotic.

As for your theory in point a., it is a lop-sided western thinking steeped wiith mistrust, quite understandably.  If I place a fan in my room, does it cease to exist simply because the door is shut?  Some things which you see may, in fact, not exist at all and vice versa.

On your theory b., that appears to me to be the thinking behind the US government.  Have you seen their election rallies?  Or, the election rallies in any democratic country?  Like miracles, promises and perks start popping up and the common folks remembered.

---
Whampoa

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.