We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia Fair.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-3 20:20:24 |Display all floors

For Australia: GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

Her brittanic majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, is the head of Australia.

She is represented in Australia by the Vice Regal Governor-General, who is appointed by her majesty. The prime minister of Australia serves at the pleasure of the Governor-General. Incur the displeasure of the Governor-General and the prime minister will be sacked.

Sir John Kerr sacked prime minister Gough Whitlam. It was Whitlam who officially abolished the "White Australia Policy".

Sir John was a "Liberal" party member. In Australia, a "Liberal" is the equivalent of the American neo-conservative, most Australian "Liberals" are like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush et. al.

John Howard is of the view that Australia must not be a republic and must remain subservient to the "mother country". When Australia's prime minister John Howard visited England, he paid homage to the queen and swore obeisance by singing the English national anthem :

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

2. O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
God save us all!

Reference Site
============
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor-General_of_Australia

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-4 08:08:06 |Display all floors

Cestmoi - more diversions

While China's anthem sings of blood, slaves, guns and defiance, Australia's mentions building a nation and sharing it's wealth with immigrants.
Cestmoi's discomfort at the difference in the two can only be addressed with his diversionary tactic by attacking Australia, erroneously as usual.

<<She is represented in Australia by the Vice Regal Governor-General, who is appointed by her majesty.>>
HM's appointment of the GG is entirely on the advice of the elected Prime Minister. She cannot appoint a GG in defiance of the PM's wishes. The choice of GG is the prerogative of the Government or PM, not HM.

<< The prime minister of Australia serves at the pleasure of the Governor-General.  Incur the displeasure of the Governor-General and the prime minister will be sacked.>>
Incure the displeasure of the PM and the GG can be sacked too! The GG can be removed at a moments notice by the PM if he so pleases. These checks and balances prevent abuse of powers by PM, GG or even HM !

<<Sir John Kerr sacked prime minister Gough Whitlam. It was Whitlam who officially abolished the "White Australia Policy". >>
It was Whitlam's party (the ALP) who introduced the White Australia Policy in the early 20th century. While this "policy " was introduced by Labour it existed in name only (it was ignored) under successive Liberal Governments of the 50's and 60's when non-white immigration to Australia grew.

<<Sir John was a "Liberal" party member. >>
Another LIE, from Cestmoi. Sir John Kerr was a member of the Australian Labour Party.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kerr)
<<Kerr returned to the bar in 1948, becoming a prominent lawyer representing  trade union clients and an active member of the Labor Party. He intended seeking Labor endorsement for a parliamentary seat at the 1951 elections, but withdrew in favour of another candidate. >>

<<In Australia, a "Liberal" is the equivalent of the American neo-conservative, most Australian "Liberals" are like Cheney, Rumsfeld, Bush et. al. >>
Rubbish, about the only similarity is that the Liberal Party is (like the Republicans) the right of the two main political parties. Australian government regulation & social welfare policies are generally to the "left" of the US Democrats.

<<John Howard is of the view that Australia must not be a republic....>>
Yes, so do more than half of Australians at the last vote...
<<.....and must remain subservient to the "mother country".>>
More crap, evidence please, singing anthems does not constitute evidence.

So there we have it, Cestmoi is never one to let the facts stand in the way of a good bit of Aussie Bashing.

Cheers
JB

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-4 20:10:30 |Display all floors

Insomniac southernsky.

Are you plagued with insomnia ? You are so busy with a barrage of taunts against China it is pitiful. A 'mogadon ' or similar benzodiazepine may help. What is the problem my son? You can unload your frustrations and anger to uncle cestmoi or me any time. You know that don't you ?

cestmoi , Australia is unique in that she owns two heads of state. I am confident that this is the only nation on earth with this distinction. The Queen of England , Elizabeth Windsor , is the Queen of Australia and thus she is the Head of State. Now Lizzy has a ' man on the scene ' a governor-general (GG) . He is usually a retired person who is skillful witht ribbon cutting and parroting what Lizzy would like to say on important occasions, althought her speech is often written by someone else. The vaudeville act is a sham if not a shame. My Aussie friends tell me they would dearly like to see the back of her and the disappeareance of the Union Jack from the Aussie flag. But die hard monarchists are a plenty on the ground still , including that fearless John Howard. He is a Britisher at heart , down to his last Menzies idolisation.

Australia is a clayton sovereign state ; ie she is independent without being independent. Thus no ' independence day ' for celebration. Well cestmoi you know the rest. You know more about this charade than I do. The humour never escapes me though. BTW , like the ' girt ' word in the Australian national anthem. It is a gem , what does it mean ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-5 05:42:41 |Display all floors

Insomniac southernsky

kwok_ho 2005-07-04 20:10
<<Australia is a clayton sovereign state .....>>

Hi kwokky, so you're Australian too, are you?

Well you should know about the "head of state" argument, its been in the papers a bit. I've explained this adequately in this forum before and I am not going to go through it again.
Cestmoi has clearly misrepresented the facts in his last post, so nobody should take him seriously there.

<<The humour never escapes me though. BTW , like the ' girt ' word in the Australian national anthem.>>
Yes it's a silly old word, but it's pretty obvious what it means.

<< I am confident that this is the only nation on earth with this distinction.>>
Well you're an ignorant Australian too, eh? There are a number of other countries which are in a similar constitutional position, although they each agree that HM is the "sovereign" and the GG is the Head of State.

Cheers
JB

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-8 13:14:32 |Display all floors

There are two-headed emus too !

Enlighten us emucentral . Which worthwhile self respecting country embrace someone else's head of state as her own ?? When you are cornered it is gentlemanly to conceed and call it quits. This stubborn streak , not dissimilar to the Howard doctrine of " I will stand by my minister " at any cost , is comical.  I am waiting for this ' lightbulb moment ' you are about to deliver. Cheers matey.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-7-8 21:26:21 |Display all floors

to kwokka

kwok_ho 2005-07-08 13:14
<<Which worthwhile self respecting country embrace someone else's head of state as her own ?? >>
Actually kwokky boy, I am quite confident in my Australian-ness and I am also quite happy with our constitutional arrangements. Unlike "claytons Australians" who lack self confidence and identity, I do not have the cultural cringe which appears to make those less self confident people want to make superficial changes to our system simply to suit their feeling about the perceptions of Australia by foreigners who do not understand the subtleties of the arrangement.

I see cestmoi has bailed out of the thread since I pointed out the serious "kwok-ups" he made in his argument. (chuckle chuckle).

Cheers
JB

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.