Views: 10668|Replies: 26

Hong Kong Issues [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-6-8 22:47:12 |Display all floors
Hong Kong faces many tough political issues. I have several questions regarding this unique city.

1) Democracy. Polls show that the large majority of HK citizens want to vote for their leader, yet Beijing has not yet allowed it, or even set a timetable. What do you think? Can they be trusted to choose their own leader?

2) Civil Liberties. Article 23. Do you think this internal security legislation should have passed? Or would it undermine the free speech enjoyed by HK citizens? What should happen 2047 when HK is fully integrated with the mainland? Should they forfeit their civil liberties (free speech, press, assembly, etc) in favor of mainland style laws?

3) Donald Tsang. The man has the strong approval of HK citizens. But will he be good for the job? Will he simply be a puppet for Beijing? He recently averted a direct answer about June Fourth and has gained the overwhelming support of pro-Beijing electors.

4) Long Hair. Ok perhaps a little silly but what do you think of this man? I recently met him, you can see the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jessewarren/sets/417285/

Ok thats it. Lets discuss.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 09:48:45 |Display all floors

The questions are repeated no end. That is not a question anymore

Discuss?

After reading your post,  I don't see any sign of genuine goodwill intention of seriously wanting to discuss a matter.

Why don't you come straight to the point?

That you want the people to uprise against the current progressive leadership?

To our eyes, there is only 1 intention by people like you: bring down the {{rising}} and {{improving}} Chinese civilization.

Too bad. There are way too many foreigners like you wishing to run down our governments in this region. We've seen through your colours.

1) Beijing is doing good.

Let's review the progress of western democracy shall we?

As late as the 1830s, only about 10% of Americans could vote! It was 5% in Britain. UK has never granted election rights to its former colony snatched from the mainland by force. HK people never voted for their own leader in history.

Thus, whatever it is, Beijing is definitely managing its country well. Nothing unusual.

China is not foolish enough to emulate USSR without careful implementation of that coveted political system which was progressing so slowly in western countries.

2) Hong Kong is required to constitutionally pass the necessary law. It has been agreed prior to 1997.

What kind of free speech you're so horrifyingly worried about would be jeopardised by this law? The type that could instigate uprising?

Let's not forget. Western governments, especially Washington is truly one greatest hypocrite in the history of human civilization.

They would barrage at countries they dislike with human rights concern. However, when THEY themselves are facing similar predicament, they would emulate the very country they criticize with even greater control. One fine example is Malaysia's Internal Security Act. Washington, together wtih Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, (London is silent over it because ISA was introduced by the British).... all criticize it. Look at today's American Homeland Security. That is very much a replica of Malaysia's Internal Security Act! If you scrutinize and study their attitude base on the date, their harsh criticisms on Malaysia's ISA stopped immediately after 911!

I think, Chinese citizen would enjoy freedom as long they do not go against the government, very much like ANY democratic nations on this planet earth.

As we speak, America and western democracies like Britain is now depriving Muslims their freedom. They KNOW what was that for. And they pretend know nothing when the same principle is applied to their enemy.

4) Does American stay vigil on the anniversary of Kwangju Massacre 1980? Where the scale of casualties far exceed than the one you're pointing at? Do they even remember it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 10:04:12 |Display all floors

duplicate post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 10:05:37 |Display all floors

duplicate post

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 12:36:41 |Display all floors

Re: Admchengho

OK, I wont hide the fact that I think China's leadership has many problems and could use improvements. So could America's leadership. And every other government in the world. But this post isnt about America or other countries...

You took my questions and avoided direct answers in favor of backfiring criticism in another direction. I think thats a bit childish. Why not be mature and just face up to the questions? This post is about Hong Kong. Lets talk about that. Theres no need to get so defensive about Beijing government here.

Now to respond to some of your comments...

"That you want the people to uprise against the current progressive leadership?"

I want what's good for the people. It doesnt have to be an "uprise". Governments can and do change over time, its neccessary to improve upon shortcomings. And if you pretend that Beijing has no shortcomings, youre fooling yourself. All governments do.

"To our eyes, there is only 1 intention by people like you: bring down the {{rising}} and {{improving}} Chinese civilization."

Whatever.

"What kind of free speech you're so horrifyingly worried about would be jeopardised by this law? The type that could instigate uprising?"

Free speech that allows people to speak their hearts and minds. That allows them to expose corruption & injustice without fear of being jailed. That allows them to express their thoughts to those that can help. That allows them to constructively criticize their leaders, because they are the ones to face the consequences of government decisions and they desreve a chance to speak out in hopes of a better life. Thats the free speech Im talking about.

"I think, Chinese citizen would enjoy freedom as long they do not go against the government, very much like ANY democratic nations on this planet earth."

Sometimes governments NEED to face voices that go "against" them. Its necessary for improvement and change. If you block all constructive criticism, you never have the chance to self-reflect and introspect.

PS - can you please edit or delete your multiple posts. moderator can you help?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-9 13:18:51 |Display all floors

Beijing has a GREAT story to tell regarding HKG!

THESE ARE ONLY MY OPINIONS, based upon my observations.

1. Democracy....When has HKG ever had a Democracy?  Certainly NOT while the British were 'ruling' over it.  I believe you when you say that the polls show that the majority "wants" a democracy, but I think what isn't polled is equally (or more) important.  Such as, what price are HKG citizens willing to pay for that democracy.  You didn't think that it was free, did you?

2. Civil Liberties...Let's see, the government proposes Article 23 which upsets many citizens...many of the citizens freely protest....the government withdraws the proposal.  Civil Liberties?  CHECK (as in YES, the citizens of HKG have them).

3. Donald Tsang....the people 'love' him...finally a true professional....a 'known' quantity after having so faithfully served the people of HKG for so many years.  Only now, all of a sudden, he's changed (not likely).  The fact that Beijing supports him is reason enough for some in HKG to (now) NOT like him.  Such a pity.  He either is, or isn't the professional that he was made out to be.  Which is it?

4. Long Hair....what can I say (that is positive and nice)?  I know, his heart is in the right place.  I'd also tell him that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Overall, I give Beijing an A+ in their 'handling' of HKG.  I know, that's the best score possible.  Here's why:

Beijing has done EVERYTHING that it promised to do with HKG, and then some - kind of like "One Country, Two Systems PLUS".  CEPA would be one of the plusses.  Allowing individual (not just tour groups) from the mainland would be another.  In other words, they're doing everything that they can to integrate HKG fully into China, while still respecting HKG's 'other' system.

It's disingenuous of some of HKG's citizens to now demand that HKG become a democracy TODAY.  THAT artificial deadline was never in the original agreement between Beijing and the HKG people (as represented by their government at the time - Britain).

My biggest criticism is that Beijing isn't doing a better job of telling the world how honorable they have been in their dealings with HKG.  Thanks for giving me the chance to do so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-6-13 21:26:07 |Display all floors

Beijing has a GREAT story to tell regarding HKG!????

deananash 2005-06-09 13:18
<<1. Democracy....When has HKG ever had a Democracy? Certainly NOT while the British were 'ruling' over it.>>

Well we all know what happened when Chris Pat.ten (last Govern.or of HK) tried to introduce democracy to HK in the early 90's.

The howls of protest and threats from Beijing were deafening.

Yes, there were many years under the British where the people of HK unfortunately did not enjoy democracy, but the reason they do not enjoy greater local democracy is not the fault of the British, but the actions/threats from the mainland.

Cheers
JB

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.