Views: 28970|Replies: 74

New China is younger than the US in terms of political developments and modernit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-30 18:51:43 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 00:30:59 |Display all floors

New China? Younger?

So, you just cut off 5000 year history and call it "new China"? So you can  make excuses for not being as strong as other nations?

I just dont get it! Some people go "we used to be the most....blah blah...., we are the oldest culture in this world,... " and some people like you: "we are young....so we dont have to.......blah blah"

What's the point?? what's the message you are trying to send?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 02:47:45 |Display all floors

Three words, mamasan, three words

<b>Disjointed, pompous and irrelevant</b>.

<b>Disjointed</b> -- there is no central idea in this very old post from many years ago.  It is as if someone were eating a history book at one end and rolling out undigested material through peristalsis at the other onto a plate and calling it an appetizer.

<b>ompous</b> -- this is the kind of post for which the “p” word is invented.   We all know you don't know enough Chinese to apply for a job as a rickshaw man, but you keep on uploading these characters that no truly Chinese-speaking man would have uploaded.  Therefore glaring errors are inescapable every single time.  "Shimonoseki" is "Ma Guan" and not "Xia Guan."  Xia Guan (下关) is the Japanese rendition of the term just like "Tiaoyutai" in Chinese is "Senkaku" in Japanese nomenclature.  You have obviously been using a Japanese dictionary and not known that the Chinese do not use the Hanji equivalent of "Shimonoseki" the same way that the Japanese do, as befitting your status as being the Japanese apologist here.

<b>Irrelevant</b> -- The title has nothing to do with the content of your post.  Here you are obviously subscribing to a school of revisionist thought saying that the Korean War was ‘unnecessary’ in the same manner some nincompoops are now discrediting the cream of our nation such as Yue Fei and Wen Tianxiang, saying that their resistance against the Jins and Mongols should not be eulogized in our textbooks because these former invaders have now become part and parcel of our nation.  

This is called "resentism," in which everything is measured in today's yardsticks, irrespective of the historical circumstances in which the events occurred.  Praising Wen and Yue for their undaunted <b>spirit</b> of resistance against foreign invasion within their historical time-frame is entirely fitting for our nation, when our very survival depends on upholding such a spirit.

Similarly the wars in Korea and Vietnam are the main reasons we had been left alone to pursue modernization without interference from any quarters for the last twenty-five years since the third plenum of the Eleventh Party Congress in 1978, and no disjointed, pompous, irrelevant arguments will succeed in subtracting any significance from these two wars .

<b>.S. Note that there is not a single word here that might smack of 'abuse' in my reasonably argued post.  It is a political argument written in a calm, serene manner without resorting to angry sentiments normally reserved for Japanese apologists.  Not a word of the above will be edited after it is uploaded.  I have not written any emails to the author of the post under any circumstances, and yet I predict he is going to say something completely different.  I am sure you can all judge for yourselves.  I rest my case.</b>

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 06:40:54 |Display all floors

A statement fom the author about personal attacks and abusive posts

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-31 19:57:21 |Display all floors

A corollary to New China is younger than the US in terms of political developmen

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-1 00:06:35 |Display all floors

New China? Younger? -- Yes -- brand new in fact

It is a bit like a person of 40. There are some circumstances where they can say they are wise enough to know ...
and other times are young enough to ...

There is a good argument for saying that since China had a complete change of government in 1949 and then a great deal of the history of China was destroyed during the cultural revolution, then China is in many respects, quite a new nation.

Of course that does not mean to say the the old culture is not relevant.

Take the case of Australia -- The first white people settled there in 1788, so we can say that the history of modern Australia is a little over 200 years -- but of course the actual culture of Australia is the culture of all the people who are living there now. This includes the culture of Britain, Ireland, Europe, the middle east, all of the greater Asia, Africa and America -- and of course the Australian Aboriginals whose culture may go back further than China's. Where do you start counting from.

Anyway, I thought the communist takeover of China was to rid her of all the past excesses and injustices so she truly was reborn in 1949 -- so she IS quite young.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-1-1 18:54:39 |Display all floors

Reply: New China? Younger?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.