Views: 2765|Replies: 6

New York Times organizes effort to slow start of new 9/11 building. [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-5-7 23:33:48 |Display all floors
No citizens have demanded a redesign.  Only the developer, who empowered police anxieties, is pushing to delay and re-design.  Now the NYT issues an edict declaring a non-existent effort to be misguided.  They invite all publicity-seekiers into a media spotlight, provided that they will help slow construction until more office space is leased.  Not one civic group is demanding any change to the design.

nytimes.com

Editorial

Building on Ground Zero
Published: May 7, 2005

Now that architects have begun rethinking the Freedom Tower to deal with security concerns, there are some people who see this as a chance to redo the entire plan for rebuilding ground zero. That would be a mistake, a waste of precious time and formidable talent.

Any grand and complicated venture like this cannot go from the sketch pad to reality without adjustments. This project is a multiphased evolution, and one that must be carefully and energetically monitored - by the public, by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and especially by Gov. George Pataki.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-10 10:48:01 |Display all floors

"No citizens have demanded a redesign. "

actually, i know there is at least one website that demands a redesign...i'll have to find the address.

the argument is that the towers should be built like before, only bigger and better....i personally don't think the one tower is good enough either.  I know they are re-doing the smaller towers as well and the memorial and all, but one crappy tower!  what a joke...

in fact, i'm all for the proposed tower design below [comgin soon ][

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-10 10:50:13 |Display all floors

proposed wtc by a real American!

seriusly, what's wrong with that?  i know the euros would laugh at us, but who cares!  that's american for hi we'd say!
2005051010507d68.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-10 13:09:24 |Display all floors

Thing is though mike...

in a cultural context, the design you note would not have the meaning intended because it would only result in insulting those for whom "that" symbol has meaning.

Perhaps a better choice to focus the insult where I infer it is being suggested it is to be directed would be:
200505101309a4e9.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-10 13:34:06 |Display all floors

re; canchin

lol...man, that is good.

i like that...it has 'dual purpose', so i guess we won't be able to sell the pics to terrorist supporintg nations!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-10 13:35:43 |Display all floors

Might make a nice

dual purpose T-shirt though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-5-14 10:48:38 |Display all floors

I support Donld Trump's idea, with one revision.

Donald Trump argues that the towers should be rebuilt on their original sites and with one additional floor of defiance.  That's makes sense for several reasons.  The improvements can save many more lives if the building are hit again (bettter exits, more time before collapse, no asbestos).  Determination to be unswayed is the only logical way to walk into the new site.  Would you want to die in a silly looking building that was supposed to be a less likely target?

I would add an extra tower of identical size and demention to the far side of the site, to create an asymmetical view and a better navigational instrument for city travelers.  The old towers didn't fill the site completely and were too vertical for their plaza base.  The extra tower would improve asthetics and increase the complexity of an unlikely terror attack by 50% -- they'ld need three planes, not two.

Who would want to risk death in some architect's vision of an elegant apology?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.