Views: 1366|Replies: 1

Help!!!! what is "hangs a story" ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-4-11 22:36:25 |Display all floors
Today, when reading "The Story Of Mankind", I came across a sentence puzzling me a lot which is quoted as "Meanwhile youth, impatient of the slowness of progress, flocked to the universities, and thereby hangs a story." . But what does "hangs a story" excatly mean? Looking forward to  your kind help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-11 22:52:50 |Display all floors

Imagine "hanging" a painting...

To "hang" a story on something, is to use that thing to start the story.

To "hang" a painting, you need to put a nail into the wall, a secure place so the painting won't fall down.

To "hang" a story on something, it has to be a good "hook", to make you really want to hear the story.

An example:

My cousin went fishing, and came back without his watch, his wallet, or his shoes -- now there's a situation you can hang a story on!

In your example, the writer is emphasising the irony of people who are impatient, and wanting a lot of new things, going to university, a place which teaches about the past... and suggesting that to unravel that mystery would make a good story.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.