Views: 7425|Replies: 15

e-dictionaries...which is the best for serious learners of English? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-22 17:08:00 |Display all floors
I'm an American man teaching English in Beijing.  

Nearly every one of my 75 Chinese students has an e-dictionary, but they are almost all different and I find it hard to advise them on which e-dictionary is the best for them.  Many of them are trying to pass the IELTS and go abroad to get a college degree.  Some are college graduates who are still using the old e-dictionary they had in college.

I would like to hear from any Chinese who has experience with e-dictionaries and how useful have they been to you beyond Chinese college and into the real working world.

Which is the very best e-dictionary for serious learners of English?  I am especially interested to know which is the e-dictionary of choice for those Chinese who are now working as an interpreter or translator?

Thank you very much for any feedback, however short.  Even a brand-name and model number might give me some ideas!

Use magic tools Report

lizhigangmkx has been deleted
Post time 2003-12-22 20:09:25 |Display all floors

a good dictionary to your students

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-22 23:04:47 |Display all floors

don't use e-dictionary to pronunce

Don’t use machine’s pronunciation facility however good they claim they are to learn your (or your pupil’s) spoken English, cos after all, it is a machine.  Very hard to understand even if they are on the full power of their battery.

Kuai Yin Tong (快译通) from Taiwan province is the best on this market to the best of my knowledge.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-23 11:07:59 |Display all floors

not rely on e-dictionary ,just rely on your brain

by the way ,can u teach me ?kidding
can we char on our spare time?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-23 12:02:13 |Display all floors

快译通

Thanks for the reply about Kuai Yi Tong.  One of my better students has a four year old model she bought for RMB 2000.  She is able to record her voice, input characters with her stylus for easy look-up.  I'll look into this one a little more carefully.  Just wondering...are there any e-dictionaries produced in mainland China (because we use simple characters here)that are comparable to this brand?  

Thanks, and I hope others post a reply, no matter how short.  I am seriously trying to find the best e-dictionary for my Chinese students.

(By the way, as an English speaking learner of Chinese, I have different requirements, such as pinyin.  I also need to be able to look up Chinese words by writing the characters by hand with a stylus, or by radical.  I have a PalmV, so I bought an e-dictionary from www.Pleco.com which meets my needs.  Pleco presently uses complete text of the Oxford Concise English & Chinese Dictionary. I can also create flashcards with it.  I really like by PalmV and Pleco e-dictionary, but it is of no use to my Chinese students, as I have found out!)

By the way, Pleco will soon be coming out with a new e-dictionary based on the ABC Dictionary.  Then the number of words will go from something like 50,000 to 120,000. (not too sure I I need so many words, since my Chinese vocabulary is so limited!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-23 12:37:04 |Display all floors

I agree; rely on your brain, not an your e-dictionary...

...but, for me, when I am on the street in Beijing and see a Chinese character I don't know (which for me is the vast majority, at least, for now!) I have no way on earth to know how to even pronounce it unless I ask a Chinese friend or passerby.  Never mind understanding what the word means!  With my PalmV I am now able to write the character on my Palm's writing pad and then look for the character in the dictionary.  It helps me survive on the streets without asking passers-by for help all the time.

As for studying at home, I like to use paper dictionaries.  Maybe that will change as I get "spoiled" by my pleco.com e-dictionary.

While on the subject of e-dictionaries and studying at home, has anyone use the wenlin dictionary for Windows?  Their advertisements sound good, but they are a little pricy!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-23 20:26:02 |Display all floors

PC based e-dictionary

If you're talking about PC based e-dictionary, not portable one, I think 金山词霸(software written by a software gaint from mainland) is most popular and quite good. I would rate it 4 out of 5. it's two way translation. and input device is rely on keyboard and pointing device, not stylus yet.

hope this help

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.