Views: 3810|Replies: 2

Do yo agree? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-12-18 23:06:50 |Display all floors
Some   people   think    it    a  good    way   to   impove   orale   english   watching  CCTV9. However   someone    don   not    agree,because  the  host   are   CHINESE,the  pronounation   is   not   OK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-19 00:34:13 |Display all floors

Pronunciation in English - important or not?

English as a language is spoken natively in half a dozen countries, and each country has its own "sound" - sometimes many different areas in the same country have unique pronunciations!

One of the strengths of English is that NONE of these different "sounds" are correct and ALL of these different "sounds" are correct.

Far more important in learning English is an ability to listen and understand it at normal speed. Not .... the..... speed...... on........... listening........ tapes, but normal speed. Is ........ this ......... your ......... umbrella? ;-)

Another thing that is more important than pronunciation is the rhythm of the language - too many Chinese learners of English try to use Chinese rhythm with English sentences because there are too many non-native English teachers in China. Hello is NOT "ha luo" and money is NOT "ma ni". "Beckham" has two syllables, and the emphasis in "pronounce" is on the "nounce".

So, how does this apply to CCTV9?

Although it is easy to be critical of the CCTV9 presenters because they make a lot of mistakes, their English is actually pretty good for speed practice and for rhythm practice. There are a few reporters and one presenter who are quite bad, but mostly CCTV9 will help you more than hurt you!

However, the single most important thing in ANY listening practice is that you ENJOY what you are listening to! If you enjoy news and current affairs and the programs on CCTV9, then watching and listening to CCTV9 can help to improve your English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-20 13:14:19 |Display all floors

just try it

i learn sth from what doubter said. tks here, doubter.
what i wanna to say is just try it .
when i learnt english before , it was hard for me to touch with the native english programme . and i dont enjoy the textbook for example , new concept english. i just like to learn sth which happens because it is fresh enough to attrack me . at that  time cctv english programmme did help me a lot . everyone , i think , wanna learn cool english and hv a dream to speak as good as english native speak no matter expression or pronounciation . but it is hard for everyone to reach that goal. the most important for english learner is we can commuciate with foreigners.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.