Views: 6528|Replies: 15

Should the PLA eliminate the compulsory military service????????? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-2-9 16:20:13 |Display all floors
As the military forces that consits from volounteers are more flexible and have higher morale.

And they are cheaper to maintain.

What are your opinions?????????

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-9 22:15:49 |Display all floors

I agree...

If you have people that want to be there, you will get a better result. I think the reason that everyone has to serve is for programming purposes...but that is just my opinion.
Increase the wages in the military and let just the ones that want to serve.
Once they join and complain it can be shown that they did indeed volunteer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-10 11:58:24 |Display all floors

hmmm....well, I'm not chinese, but I'll comment anyways.

NO.  No they shouldn't eliminate mandatory military service from elgible (physically/mentally) males.

Why?

Of course that depends on the length of the mandatory term.  Say 1 or 2 years is not a big deal.  Go in at 18, get out at 20, hopefully with benefits including college moeny, then decide if you want to go to college and further serve your country.  It's not like China is always at war or something either.  Also, I'm sure it's desirable by the poor people in the villages.  Of course I'm assuming the soldiers get some disposable income.  If it's not mandatory, then maybe the P L A decides that only Han chinese or Chinese from wealthy families are honorable enough to serve in the armed forces.  That'd dissolve hopes of many poor people.

And, I think it ensures that the country has a well trained force at all times.  No formidable force, then no country....no country, then no chinese society.  Not all  so-called dictators want to leave behind de-mocracy and stable governments, as we seen from japan and germany in world wars.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-10 12:14:14 |Display all floors

kinda on topic

I don't know how many, but i'm sure there are many non-asian chinese citizens living/born in china.  

Do they have to serve in the P L A as well, or are they forbidden, or is it their choice?

Seems like I've never seena  picture of chinese forces witha  white or black guy in the lineup.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-10 12:21:57 |Display all floors

The law stipulates: foreign citizens are not obliged to serve in the PLA. It dosn't say they are forbidden.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-10 12:28:53 |Display all floors

" foreign citizens are not obliged to serve in the PLA"

hello, linvinshi...

so two american live in china and have a baby in china, in which case the baby would automatically become a chinese citizen, right?  Why would the baby still be considered a "foreign citizen"?  Is 'foreign' determined by race in China?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-2-10 12:35:20 |Display all floors

'so two american live in china and have a baby in china, in which case the baby would automatically become a chinese citizen, right? '

Mike, I don't think the baby will become a chinese citizen automatically.
But I can further check it. I'm learning law.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.