Views: 6611|Replies: 8

Doubter in please [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-27 17:55:24 |Display all floors
Dear Doubter:
   You said we should thinking in English,do not translate it into Chinese.And I do!but,you know,I'm so poor in my vocabulary and grammar that I feel hard to make even one complete sentence!
   Now, the CET-4 is coming again.I'm still learning English words(60~70 per day),and read 8 reading comprehensions,and do some grammar exercises.But the circulation is going on.Learn today,foget tomorrow!Can you tell me how can I stop this?Thank you so~~~~ much!
   Expecting your reply.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 01:35:18 |Display all floors

Two questions before I can answer you.

1. When you learn new vocabulary words, do you have a list of English words with their Chinese translations?

2. Do you enjoy reading, or do you only read comprehension because it is homework?

Answer these questions and I will try to give you some help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 10:53:01 |Display all floors

my answer

1:   Yes , I have an Chinese translation list.
2:   No,it's not my homework.I like reading,though it is hard for me to read  English articals.  Furthermore, I read because the certificate somehow.
Thanks for helping me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-29 14:22:48 |Display all floors

Thankyou for your answers

Your answers tell me two things:

1. You are not learning vocabulary as a "language learning" exercise, you are learning vocabulary as a memorisation exercise.

A list of English words with their Chinese "translations" (often incorrect) is not a language learning exercise. A list like that actually FORCES you to think in Chinese!

In the early days of learning Chinese I had a fudao laoshi who would do the same thing. Whenever I had difficulty remembering a word in Chinese she would simply say the English translation - and BANG! - my mind would switch over to English - I would translate the whole sentence into English including the new word, and then translate back into Chinese to answer her.

She was actually forcing me to think in English! And my Chinese was getting no better.

I changed to another tutor who would painfully, slowly, explain each new word to me in Chinese. So I was learning new Chinese IN Chinese! And my Chinese started to get better quickly.

This is the way to learn language. A list of vocab words with the Chinese translation simply forces you to think in Chinese - which is the opposite of what you should be doing.

2. It's great that you enjoy reading - that makes what I am about to say to you easy for you to do.

Read all the time. Always carry an English book with you, and read it every time you have a break. On the subway. On the bus. Eating food. Read all the time. Buy a dictionary that is ALL English. When you find a word you don't understand - try to guess the meaning from the context. and keep going. But if you REALLY can't guess what it means, then make a note, and at the end of the day look it up in your English dictionary.

Just by reading your posts above, I know that your English is good enough to do what I suggest. So read novels, articles, magazines, non-fiction. Anything that you enjoy.

It will be hard - and it will not FEEL like real study, because you are not memorising big lists - but trust me, your English will improve.

I know many students who have followed this method, and their English is generally much better than students who use the "memorisation" method.

Language cannot be memorised! Language is alive. Language is like a love affair. Language reinforces language - so the less "chinese translations" you read, the more your English will help ITSELF to improve.

The amazing thing about learning new words in English - is that you don't forget them!

And of course, as much as possible, you should try to speak English with native speakers. There are many ways to do this - limited only by your imagination.

Finally, have fun, and good luck!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-29 15:10:51 |Display all floors

One more question please

I'm so appreciate with your help.You have given me a completely new idea about how to learn an foreign language.
Do you know "blue tiger"? I also read some articles which written by him.
And I found it is much more difficult to read his articles than to read yours.Is this because you'd consciously written in a easier way so that I can understand you well?  
Some times I know every words in the sentence,but I sill can not undstand the sentence very well.Is this has something to do with grammar?What should I do in this situation(it is useless to look for dictionary)?
I would like to say thank you again.You've greatly helped me.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-30 14:29:51 |Display all floors

Thankyou - I'm happy to help.

I do try to make everything I write here simple and clear, so perhaps that is why you can easily understand what I am writing.

Also, some people use a lot of "slang" or idiom when they write, because they wrongly believe this makes it easier for a student to understand! Idiom is an important part of language mastery, but it is usually the last thing that is mastered. Trying to push people to learn idiomatic speech too early in their learning experience can be very bad for their language level.

As I have said in other posts: the "style" of a piece of writing changes how easy or hard it is to understand. I try hard to write in a "blank" or "open" style in most of what I write here in the chinadaily forums.

To answer your question, one of the things you can do if you are in a situation where you can't understand a whole sentence is to do the same thing you do now for a single word you don't understand: try to guess the meaning from the context of the paragraph.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-9 00:37:40 |Display all floors

hello !

you are really helpful!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.