Author: vincat

How to translate "美籍华人". [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-12-15 09:25:18 |Display all floors

Have no idea!

Thanks a lot.
So many different opinions. Chinese American or American Chinese,I have no ideas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 09:29:52 |Display all floors

Of course 美籍华人 is "Chinese Americans".

You probably could find a few "American Chinese" in China today - those who were American but resided in China before acquiring their Chinese citizenship. It's what may be called 华籍美国人. There could be more in the days to come.

In the States, which is receptive to all races and cultures, you can find all kinds of Americans: Hispanic and Latino Americans, Russian Americans, Cuban Americans, Vietnamese Americans, Indian Americans, Afro- Americans, as well as Chinese Americans.

Use magic tools Report

rovi297 has been deleted
Post time 2004-12-15 09:50:20 |Display all floors

to tumu

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 09:50:48 |Display all floors

hmm

我觉得是思维习惯的问题,对于美国人来说,他们认为,首先你是美国人,其次你是中国过来的,所以就chinese american了
对于国人来说,我们通常先肯定的是他们是中国人,但是现在在美国居住,或者加入美国国籍,所以我们说,他们是american chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 10:21:59 |Display all floors

to rovi297

Thanks for your opinion, but I think you made me wrong.I've never said that all Chinese Americans are americanized, ABC just occupy a little portion of all Chinese Americans.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 10:39:14 |Display all floors

See the result of google search below. The usage "Chinese American" is the overw

约有454,000项符合"Chinese American"的查询结果
   约有77,900项符合"American Chinese"的查询结果

Given what Rovi said is right -- "American Chinese = Chinese American", I wonder how he expresses "华籍美国人".

Yes, to translate "美籍华人“ as "American Chinese" is very convenient! But it could not work in English speaking countries when supposed it stands for "美籍华人".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-12-15 10:43:33 |Display all floors

FYI

美籍华人:Chinese American
别把Google当成宝。如果反过来,不是美籍华人,而是华籍美国人。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.