Views: 23716|Replies: 25

Traveling by Train in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-11-23 12:10:47 |Display all floors
I generally enjoy train travel in China.  One can travel to most destinations in relative comfort while viewing the breath-taking scenery.  I also enjoy meeting new friends on the train.

But there are a few things that make it incovenient:

1) One can't buy tickets in advance (more than 2 or 3 days)
2) One can't buy round-trip tickets -- therefore tourists (both Chinese and foreign) have to waste valuable time once they reach their destination, in standing in line to buy tickets to get back home again.  
3) If one buys hard seat tickets, even if you have a ticket with the seat number on it, sometimes someone else has taken the seat!
4) Everyone dashes to get on the train when the gate opens -- dangerous for the old people, little children, pregnant women, and disabled people.
5) Usually no English-speaking conductors on train, so foreign tourists may have problems.

Is there any hope that these inconveniences can be solved to make traveling more pleasant for everyone -- Chinese and foreigners?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-23 20:33:48 |Display all floors

My experience on train.

Several years ago, my husband and I went to Hukou waterfall in Shanxi province. The waterfall locates in Jixian county which lies in almost the border of Shanxi and Shaanxi (山西和陕西). It's really worth seeing !!!

But some terrible experiences on train let our travel a little regreted. We bought the "hard bed" tickets. But one we got on the train, someone was already sat on my bed, he said he was the friend of the train attendant, so his ticket is a "relation ticket" (he had no ticket at all). And then, so many people rushed in and sat on our beds without any inquiry. We felt so tired through the whole trip.

Entering the railway station and coming out is also a disaster. Too many people flooded there, we felt like we were refugees.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-23 22:15:22 |Display all floors

Yes, I've had the same experience

with other people sitting on my bed.  I solved it by always buying the middle or top bunk.  It's a little inconvenient climbing up and down, but I can have my bed to myself!

Use magic tools Report

allgemein has been deleted
Post time 2003-11-24 17:00:53 |Display all floors

Not during the spring festival

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-24 18:00:00 |Display all floors

And not in Golden Weeks.

By air is quite fast of course (especially for business). But travelling by train should have been a great fun which can not be replaced by any other transportation.
When you look out of the train window, You will see the mountain, the river, the small valley and so on...
When I see some farmers or sheep far away, I feel very excited.
And we play games on train...so interesting.
To tell the truth, I really envy the European people, they have the comfortable trains...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-11-28 12:54:22 |Display all floors

no hitch

karenb and guess3 times sorry to hear your experience.

i was fortunate in my travel by train to Beijing, Xian, Chengdu, Yicheng and a ferry ride to Mushan (3 Gorges ands 3 little Gorges) from HK. we bought semi-soft private cabin (2 beds only) and enjoy the 28 hr ride to Beijing. we could actually witness from a distance of how people live and what they apparently go about their daily lives. at every stops in small towns along the way, we would get off and rush to buy their homemade food. they even kept them warm. we tried the 4-unit soft bunkers on the way to Xian. it does have hotwater services (self-help) or baths. what disturbed me most was the chain smoking by other travellers, which I could bear but to open the window to allow fresh air in for circulation.  we met back-packers from Sweden, Britain and Norway as well.

basically the whole trip was great.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-12-5 11:20:39 |Display all floors

Agre with you

agree!
Compare train and plane and bus. I consider train travel is best. Not only because it is comfortable more and more,but also we can know more and more fresh friend in my trip.Certainly,if for business, i would like to choice plane, after all,Time is Money .
Our train and train attendant are all changged now. Train become faster and faster.so did  the attitude. But if they can write and speaking In English,all the things will be better.
When i become my train travel, i will ask one ticket of top one, if not, i will change my bed so that i can sleep on the top. anyone else would like to change for me.when i get off, we will change our ticket agian.
do you have the same experince?
thank you for  your article.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.