Views: 1416|Replies: 3

at that moment in time? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-23 11:51:25 |Display all floors
Jurisdictional inspections occur every one or two years and are an evaluation of the equipment at that moment in time, i.e., a “snapshot.” 管辖区域内的检验每年或每两年进行一次,是对设备在那一瞬间的评估,即“快照”。
How to understand "at that moment in time" more exactly?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 12:03:39 |Display all floors

Scenario

Lets create a scenario. Today is October 22nd. On January 1st, 2004 an inspection was done, and the equipment looked at passes inspection. We would say today, October 22nd, that the equipment passed inspection "at that moment in time". Similar to the idea of taking a photograph (snapshot).
As a side note, "i.e." means literally "in other words". This sentence gave another meaning of the words "at that moment in time" is "a snapshot". Of course you need to know what a snapshot is, which is a photograph.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 12:39:15 |Display all floors

fyi

即时瞬间?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 14:07:13 |Display all floors

I don't mean to create confusion, but I am curious.

As I read this sentence, it sounds like it was written by a technical person.
I should probably add that this concept "at that moment in time" is a kind of engineering concept, because technical people are much more literal than the average person. If they say something is okay "at that moment in time" what they are saying is that right now, is not the same as then, and so therefore the equipment we are talking about, was okay then, but they have no idea right now if it is the same as it was then.
I know this is subtle and no doubt confusing, but important to keep in mind when talking to technical people. I know marketing people will take this to mean, if it was okay then, and you only look at it every two years, this means it is okay for two years after an inspection. A technical person would probably disagree with this assessment.
The reason I mention this, is because perhaps there is a similar concept already defined by Chinese technical people, that has this meaning? Would "snapshot" have the same meaning?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.