Views: 2457|Replies: 8

hey , friends, who'd like to remark on this? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-10-23 10:41:10 |Display all floors
i saw a letter on my book, it goes like this:
希望以上报盘能为你方所接受,等待你方来试订.
we trust the above will be acceptable to you and await with keen interest your trial order.

we trust...........?? do u think it's polite? i really doubt it!!!!!!!

see, if not for i saw it definitely in my book, i will think this kind of expression is arrogant and impolite, what is your opinion? tks!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 10:50:44 |Display all floors

i think TRUST is OK here.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 10:55:42 |Display all floors

Here "trust" sounds fine to me.

It shows your confidence and your familiarity with the current market price. You sound firm on good grounds. No wishy-washy type. Much better than "hope", for instance.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 10:57:53 |Display all floors

tks for your reply , but........

中文为"希望", 英文译作"TRUST", 我感觉语气方面要重些,给客户施加的压力也更多一些,一点也不委婉,反而好像有点"气势凌人"了.

总觉不妥................

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 12:17:00 |Display all floors

Trust = Assume

In the days before there was the internet and email, many businesses would send letters by mail. This sentence construction was very common, because the word "trust" is to mean "assume". Businesses would often intend to mean by the word "trust" that they are trying to be fair in their offers, because they would have to "assume" the person they are writing to would find that they are offering a fair deal. It was considered polite.
Because the mail takes much longer to arrive than email, people would read letters in a way that is entirely different than when they read email. Email is nearly instantaneous. This is why you see some people misunderstanding each other on line, it is easy to read something in a way that perhaps the writer did not intend to mean.
I think this is also a commonly used word structure in Britain

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 12:35:12 |Display all floors

tks pokikiko

according to your explanation, it is still safer for us to not use "trust "to express '希望". huh?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-10-23 13:34:44 |Display all floors

Many assumptions

I must use Powerword to give me literal translations of Chinese characters, and based on this, I would not use the word "trust" to translate these characters given. It appears that the word "hope" should be used instead. However, I agree with the other poster that this seems weak, although it is commonly used as well. While I can not truly fathom the intent of the sentence in Chinese characters, my own suggestion for your English version of the sentence based on your translation of it would be as follows.
"We assume the above will be acceptable to you and hope for your trial order."
"We assume the above will be acceptable to you and that you will make a trial order."
"We assume the above is acceptable for your trial order."
The reason I use "assume", is because the rest of your sentence refers to another part "the above". While the literal meaning of "hope" will work, we have to understand that the nature of the sentence is in reality making an assumption, that is that the other party will find that what is written "above" will be acceptable. This is a business contract, not a wish.
It is a little tough to rewrite without knowing the nature of what the above is exactly.
My simple answer is, I would not recommend using the word "trust" for this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.