Views: 2789|Replies: 6

please help me ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-9-29 13:47:03 |Display all floors
Yesterday they spoke at a rare public meeting attended by 13 women from three generations, almost the entire adult female population of Pitcairn. Their message was that the men had committed no crimes. The island, they said, had a tradition of under-age sex that dated from the days when it was settled by Fletcher Christian and the Bounty mutineers.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-29 17:34:01 |Display all floors

Pitcairn Island

昨天,她们在一个由三代人共13位妇女(这几乎是皮特凯恩岛上所有的成年女性人口总数)参加的不寻常的公开大会上发言。她们传递的讯息是那些男人并没有犯罪。她们称,该岛自从被弗莱彻·克雷斯蒂安殖民和「邦蒂号」叛乱时代以来就有未成年性交的传统。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-29 17:37:28 |Display all floors

FYI

I suppose that you need some background to understand the whole thing. This passage must be an extract from some coverage. Pitcarn island is located in the South Pacific and is the last island which still belongs to Britain. Under-age sex is a tradition of this island since there're only 47 people and they don't have much entertainment. Obviously, under-age sex is considered illegal in the US and UK so the men mentioned in the passage were charged. But some of the women believe that it's a sheme designed by the British to get rid of the people living on the island because those 7 men are the only young men of the island.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-30 09:35:11 |Display all floors

thank you hungryjack!

thank you  hungryjack!
every time you  always give me some great help on my english studying ,and you idea was so special and valuable,i knew you were so eruditely ,how i admire you!but could you tell me  about you experience of
english studying~~are you a foreign friend? any how,wish you and you friend have a wonderful time during seven-day holiday of national day!

Use magic tools Report

skyzhou has been deleted
Post time 2004-9-30 09:46:08 |Display all floors

hungryjack is right

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-30 10:20:39 |Display all floors

What is behind my humble translation

I read a lot for that piece of translation above. Yes, it's true that you have to read around the topic you are trying to translate. It is a professional habit for any translator.
i only gave the result of my hard work and didn't touch anything more than that. But anyway it's up to you to judge it is ok or not. Or, you may be expected to give a revised one.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-30 10:56:11 |Display all floors

Thank you and sorry

Thank you Yanglei for your gracious flattery and warm greetings. I'm definitely not "erudite" (to be frank, it's rather daunting to be acclaimed like that even though I hope I will become an erudite person one day). I'd like to wish you and your family a happy golden week.  Unfortunately, I won't have holiday next week because I'm not in China, this may be the reason why I knew that passage since we may have prompter access to news than you do.
Regarding translation, I've read quite a few posts by Rolly and I have to say that I didn't mean to comment on your work because I simply don't think my Chinese is good enough to do so. I apologize if I made you think that I did.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.