Views: 2509|Replies: 5

Norwegian lawmaker nominates Hongkongers for 2020 Nobel Peace Prize [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-10-21 09:52:51 |Display all floors
1.  The following are excerpts from Karen Zhang's 16 October 2019 article headlined "Norwegian lawmaker nominates Hongkongers for 2020 Nobel Peace Prize to rally international support for city’s anti-government protesters".

(Begin excerpts)
A Norwegian member of parliament has nominated the people of Hong Kong for next year’s Nobel Peace Prize, saying that it was to encourage the international community to support the city’s fight for freedom of speech and democracy, symbolised by the ongoing protests initially sparked by the now-withdrawn extradition bill.

Guri Melby, 38, an MP from Oslo and a Liberal Party politician, announced the nomination on Tuesday night.

“I have nominated the people of Hong Kong, who risk their lives and security every day to stand up for freedom of speech and basic democracy, to the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020,” Melby said on Twitter. “I hope this will be further encouragement to the movement: #StandWithHongKong.”

In an email response to the Post’s queries, Melby said: “I chose to nominate the people of Hong Kong, more specifically the (anti-)extradition bill movement, because it is the democracy movement in its entirety which deserves recognition for its brave efforts.”

“I realise that the government of Hong Kong has tried to paint protesters as violent hooligans, but my impression from the streets of Hong Kong is that these are ordinary people, protesting against a city government bent on curtailing their freedoms,” said Melby who visited Hong Kong last month.

Asked about the violence and vandalism by radicals on the front lines of the protests, she said she was more “appalled” by the “heavy-handed methods” police were employing.

“Although I left Hong Kong with a heavy heart, knowing that the people will have tough times ahead defending their freedoms, I was reassured by their unflinching commitment to the rule of law, freedom of the press and democracy,” she told the Post. “I hope this peace prize nomination helps to reverberate that message from the people of Hong Kong to the rest of the world.”

This is Hong Kong’s second peace prize nomination; the first was in 2018 when a group of 12 United States’ congressmen, known for their criticisms of China, nominated three Hong Kong activists and Occupy leaders including Joshua Wong Chi-fung.

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, qualified nominators include members of national assemblies and national governments, university professors and rectors, former peace prize winners and directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes....

However, lawmaker and New People’s Party chairwoman Regina Ip Lau Suk-yee ridiculed the nomination, calling it “a very sick joke”....

“...although the protesters' motivations might have been totally unexceptionable, the protests have morphed into a highly destructive movement damaging Hong Kong. Not something we are proud of,” Ip said....  (End excerpts)

Source:  scmpdotcom

2. When Sun Zhong-shan (孫中山), the founding father of modern China, signed his name in English, he used Sun Yat-sen (孫逸仙), as his native language was Cantonese. If he is still alive today, it won't come as a surprise for him to ask Guri Melby, "你有冇有搞錯? (Cantonese pronunciation: "Lei yao moh yao gao chuo?" meaning "Are you okay?" or "What’s wrong with you?"

If Guri Melby is sincere in her actions and thoughts, she should accompany the Hong Kong police all the while to witness with her own eyes the destruction, vandalism, arson and violence committed by the black-clad, masked ninjas of Hong Kong.

3.  At the present rate of destruction, vandalism and arson by the brutal rioters, Hong Kong may end up like Syrian city of Raqqa, completely in ruins with clouds of flies swarm around rubble.  It may also return to its initial state of being a swampy malarial type diseased island of the 1840s.

Hongkongers’ interest in emigrating has jumped fourteen fold as the four-month long anti-government protests show no signs of ending, and many are selling their property before the housing market deteriorates further to finance their move, according to Midland Immigration Consultancy.

As for the ruthless and treacherous protest leaders, they certainly have no worry at all as they are guaranteed asylum by their powerful foreign patrons if it comes to the crunch.  The majority of poor in Hong Kong will likely end up as "boat people" -- like the Vietnamese refugees who fled Vietnam by boats and ships following the end of the Vietnam War in 1975.

Mind you, the Nobel Peace Prize is dedicated to the cause of world peace.  It's not the prize for vandalism, arson or violence.  Neither is it an award for rampant destruction, intimidation or killing.

Anyone who regards vandals and arsonists as "angels of peace" or "heroes" certainly needs a mental checkup.

Donald Trump's infamous Hitler-style rabble-rousing chants:  "Lock her up!  Lock her up!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-21 18:50:45 |Display all floors
re: '"Norwegian lawmaker nominates Hongkongers for 2020 Nobel Peace Prize to rally international support for city’s anti-government protesters".'

Norway was a very poor Country while I was there...
   Nowadays, all that black gold gone to their head and they seem to be suffering from a neurological disease...

What makes me wonder why Norway isn't nominating the rioters of Chile...

Chile Unrest Spreads, With 8 Deaths Reported in Violence   
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/20/world/americas/chile-protests-riots.htlm
Protesters looted and set fire to stores in a burst of violence rooted in the government’s plan to increase transit fares.
  Not to forget Catalonia now...

Perhaps we ought to add UK as well...
     Queen Elizabeth was to be evacuated if Brexit riots break out in ...
Investment in central London offices in the first half of 2019 fell 37 per cent year .... Britain on Sunday urged the EU to intensify talks over London's latest Brexit ...
                                          Why not nominate them as well?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-22 22:03:07 |Display all floors
Those pipsqueak Norweigian politicos are always attention-seekers, piggybacking on hot-button issues to raise their profiles ... despicable...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-23 11:59:36 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-10-22 22:03
Those pipsqueak Norweigian politicos are always attention-seekers, piggybacking on hot-button issues ...

Indeed;
Even the Swedes look down upon them...

The union with Sweden was dissolved in 1905.

Perhaps the meaning of "Quisling" will help you along...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-23 15:27:58 |Display all floors
"Mind you, the Nobel Peace Prize is dedicated to the cause of world peace."

So who was the last Chinese to win this medal ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-23 16:06:55 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2019-10-23 15:27
"Mind you, the Nobel Peace Prize is dedicated to the cause of world peace."

So who was the last Chi ...

Hmm,

In my humble opinion,
that Peace Prize is way outstanding for the Middle Kingdom...

After all, that petrol bomb throwing students terrorist, destroying public conveniences like MTR stations  etc. should be rewarded accordingly.  
Bank of China outlets were petrol bombed while  HSBC next door was avoided...
    On some of them foreign banks which they attacked due not being able to read the signs makes me wonder why they bother to go to school... But THEY did spray paint on the damaged front:   
Sorrrri, wrong Pank...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.