Views: 78174|Replies: 20

Why China calls foul on Houston Rockets GM comment [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-10-8 16:29:18 |Display all floors
Why China calls foul on Houston Rockets GM comment

The Houston Rockets' general manager has got himself into trouble. On Saturday Daryl Morey tweeted a slogan which read "fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong." He soon deleted it, but the comment still drew heavy reproach on Chinese social media. On Sunday, China's National Basketball Association and the sports channel of China's national broadcaster announced their decisions to suspend cooperation with the club.  

To control the damage, the NBA released a statement on Monday, saying Daryl's comment "deeply offended many of our friends and fans in China, which is regrettable". The NBA highlighted the values though of the league which support its individuals' sharing views on matters important to them. The NBA also reaffirmed support for the "history and culture" of China.  

Morey also explained himself, saying his intention was not to offend, but he was "merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation of one complicated event". No apologies offered on either part.

Morey said his thoughts are his own. But, I'm afraid it's too late. He should have made that clear in the beginning. Did he pause for even one second before sending that tweet, to imagine the reaction from "his Chinese fans and sponsors" who, in his words, have shown "significant support" for him?  If he had, he probably wouldn't have tweeted it. If, and it's likely, he thought about it and still went ahead, that begs a bigger question: did he know what he was talking about and what this means to Chinese people, including NBA and Rockets fans?

If you watch the news coverage by the Western media, although they do show violence, it's often implied to be for a "just cause." There is a glaring contradiction in logic: the Western media criticize Hong Kong's rule of law being breached by the government, but not nearly as much by the masked protesters who are smashing up the city. The only way they can justify the actions of these people, who would be called thugs if they did so on the streets of London or DC, is: they are fighting for "freedom" of Hong Kong and standing up for the city.

If people did this to Houston, would Morey cheer them on? The masked protesters are not just smashing objects, but hurting people too. People who appear to come from the Chinese mainland, people who dare to express opposite views, or even those who only appear to do so have been cruelly targeted. As Morey and the like are cheering for the "freedom" of Hong Kong, a taxi driver was beaten unconscious because he accidentally crashed into the pavement while making a U-turn away from the protesters. He was not given the opportunity to explain, he was not given the freedom to explain. Is there any freedom for him?

I am saddened by the blood-covered face of that poor taxi-driver, but even more so by the messages sent by many in the international media and community. Morey, the freedom that you believe is not real freedom for Hong Kong, but the freedom of the mobs to terrorize innocent people and plunge the city into anarchy. To evoke such "freedom" is what the Chinese fans and sponsors really have a problem with, whether or not you have deleted the tweet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 07:48:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by GhostBuster at 2019-10-9 15:55

US citizens hold their long dead mentality that US is the sole supreme power and will dictate who to live and who not to!
Clear of idiocracy due to self perceived claim.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 10:20:39 |Display all floors
NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, He stood by Morey’s right to express his opinions, saying the league would “protect its employees’ freedom of speech.”

The international incident was ignited when Morey tweeted the slogan “Fight for freedom, stand with Hong Kong,” which is being used by anti-government protesters in the Chinese territory.

These US fellows thought they are really the kings of the world to air in their filthy mounts as and when they desire without thinking whether or not they understood / understand what sorts of rubbish could inflict upon themselves and others.

IF NBA is a US political machine and its superiors are all politically inclined against certain countries, in this case against China and Chinese people, then they must NOT be given the opportunity to make money from the Chinese people and inside China. It is a "NATIONAL THREAT" against China's national interests !

NBA of the US team folks, if so naïve and stupid, ought to study the regional issues to check and counter check what they practice about US's model of FREEDOM and EXPRESSIONS inside the USA may NOT be suitable to other nations due very complex situations. Within the USA, let's us know how the "black and colored American folks" tend to react when they just whispered, " blacks and colored folks " GO HOME to where you were supposed to be or " all whites get out " : in a country of FREEDOM, FREE SPEECHES and HUMAN RIGHTS " robbed from the Apaches and Red Indians !  The first one to get out ought to be China-phobia hawkish R Marcos back to the Castro Cuban nation !   

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 10:37:20 |Display all floors
Freedom of expression is great to have but with it comes responsibility and self-control.  When free speech incites hatred, causes harm and creates discord, then there is a price to be paid. Anyone cannot speak their minds freely without much regards to others feelings.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 10:58:58 |Display all floors
Markus83 Post time: 2019-10-9 10:37
Freedom of expression is great to have but with it comes responsibility and self-control.  When free ...

"Anyone cannot speak their minds freely without much regards to others feelings."
What can you do to stop them in reality ? If something is on my mind, what is wrong with my speaking about it ? Also, if I might make a comment critical of China, for example, how can I know if one individual  or maybe millions of people might have their feelings hurt ?

"Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me." Doesn't this proverb have practical value to people's sensibilities in the real world ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 12:04:19 |Display all floors
GhostBuster Post time: 2019-10-9 07:48
US citizens hold their long dead mentality that US is the sole supreme power and will dictat ...

re: 'US citizens hold their long dead mentality that US is the sole supreme power and will dictated who to live and who not to!'

Here's a very recent example:       --the Master of the Universe; Donald Trump has threatened to destroy and obliterate Turkey's economy should Mr Erdogan be unhelpful...

The 480km long and 30km deep "safe zone" is nothing else but a badly hidden land crab for Turkey...
   but--- the Master of the Universe figured to settle his faithful Kurdish fighters within the zone while
   Turkey considers the Kurdish-led alliance a terrorist group which for years was Western powers cannon fodder...  Underpaid but   supplied with best made in USA WEAPONS...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-10-9 13:10:10 |Display all floors
Also, if I might make a comment critical of China, for example, how can I know if one individual  or maybe millions of people might have their feelings hurt ?

You can find out first, can you not? What you are saying is that anyone can say anything, including lies and should be allowed to. If that is so, anybody else should also have the right to freedom of expression and expose his/her lies.

"Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me." Doesn't this proverb have practical value to people's sensibilities in the real world ?

This proverb only works with sensible people but in the "real world", there are more irrational people than desired. That is why the lies and false accusation about China are being propagated and perpetuated by such people to the detriment of China. Who wants to have broken bones?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.