Views: 3945|Replies: 18

Is corruption rife in US college admissions? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-5-6 10:39:51 |Display all floors
Education, once thought of as the only ticket out of poverty, was abused by some wealthy Americans to get their children a place in top US universities. They use their privilege and money to rob others of opportunities and experiences. So far nearly 50 people have been charged in what authorities say was a US$25 million racketeering scheme. A Chinese family was also involved in the scandal, paying $6.5 million to have their daughter admitted to Stanford University. What do you think about the scandal? Is the whole system rigged in favor of affluent parents? Compared with that of the US, are Chinese college admissions based on gaokao scores better in terms of fairness?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 12:03:33 |Display all floors
I think the US system is the most rigged system in the world...
  Not only as far as education is concerned, but right down to the White House...
This problem never surface before because uncle Sam's Industrial 'Might' coupled with the dominance of the 'Greenback' made it careless...
  Around the 50′s to 60’s, Africa, South America, Central America, and other parts of the world freed themselves from being colonized...

I don’t think that America is really going down the drain, rather a wake up call to consider 'Others' as equals...

Otherwise, in my opinion; ordinary American's will do the suffering in the near future... and they are beginning to awaken...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 13:11:49 |Display all floors
    emanreus Post time: 2019-5-6 09:43
    A further check will show you that this so called donation did not come from any China province an ...

That means the account from which the money was paid was a U.S. account.

Many Chinese businesses have accounts in the U.S.

So to pay the agent from such a U.S. business account wouldn't have been difficult.

I said in the OMEN thread at the TTCD forum this could be a big scandal and many parents could be having sleepless nights.

It is happening right before our eyes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 13:23:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2019-5-6 13:25

That's probably one of the reasons the Harvard president was invited over to Beijing last month.

I am sure our leaders didn't just invite him to talk about the weather or cultural exchange only.

There must have been urgent matters they wanted to discuss with him about in order to stamp out official corruption in this area -- like officials using illegitimate means to get into his school etc. and a possible list of such corrupt cases.  

When you use a false name to go to such a school your transcripts would have to be "re-invented" at the level of the home country.

Nobody should be a fan of doing that.

I am sure our leaders sincerely want to stamp out such corruption at least in an official capacity.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 14:13:34 |Display all floors
And the Harvard man was in Beijing right at the time after the first scandal broke out.  You can check on the dates.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 17:20:03 |Display all floors
People accept bribe as a way of extra income for early retirement.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-5-6 18:21:12 |Display all floors
The scandal has just exploded into the open just as we had predicted.

Several Chinese are in the first batch of 50 people who bribed their way into getting their kids into elite U.S. institutions just so that they can brag about it in the future -- "Oh my son got into Harvard -- he scored amongst the top in the SAT he took while he was a high school student at Ah So University in Shangdong."

That's probably one of the reasons the Harvard president was invited to visit Beijing last month.

I am sure our leaders didn't just invite him over to talk about the weather or cultural exchange only.

There must have been urgent matters they wanted to discuss with him about in order to stamp out official corruption in this area -- like officials using illegitimate means to get their high-schoolers into his school etc. and a possible list of such corrupt cases.  

When you use a false name to go to such a school your transcripts would have to be "re-invented" or "doctored" officially at the level of the home country.

Nobody should be a fan of doing that.

I am sure our leaders sincerely want to stamp out such corrupt practices at least in an official capacity.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.