Author: voice_cd

Books are still the real source of knowledge?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-4-16 22:38:06 |Display all floors
You might be deemed as stodgy nowadays if you latch onto your paper books, but I am sure a lot of bibliophiles still enjoy the feel and smell of the books they could hold, browse, and thumb through... personally, I have nothing against Kindles, iPads as E-readers,  but I also enjoy reading paper books, especially on board a short flight...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-17 12:14:00 |Display all floors
Liononthehunt Post time: 2019-4-16 22:38
You might be deemed as stodgy nowadays if you latch onto your paper books, but I am sure a lot of bi ...

"but I also enjoy reading paper books, especially on board a short flight..."

I enjoy reading on my flights too, but I don't have to carry around a book, and having to put it away in an already fully packed bag; I do it all online!  Smarter?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-18 10:50:45 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-4-17 12:14
"but I also enjoy reading paper books, especially on board a short flight..."

I enjoy reading on  ...

Smarter?

You might have to learn how to pack ...
Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-19 16:16:24 |Display all floors

I am truly impressed by all of you, educated folks, who are contributing to this forum which used to be filled with plentiful of slurs and sarcastic rubbishes. Arguments seen herein are practically useful and meaningful.

In an era of the boomers' world, older millennial mentalities are almost dished out; whereas, e-book materials are certainly overtaking hard-paper books in term of :

1.   Climate change requirements to protect against global warmer effects or rather the environments around us all. The fewer paper sheets the fewer destruction of the forests of lusty trees that we all need them to generate the natural gases ( namely carbon dioxide and oxygen ) with the help of our Sun to support our bodily and ecological systems.

2. Major papers and very advanced scripts were and are being published globally by elite scientists, researchers, scholars, students, etc…etc…etc… that may not be available in hard-papers soon enough. Secondly, poorer folks of all over the world cannot afford to get their hands on hard-papers ( if required in needed time ) because up to 98% of authors are out there to recover spent monies. As well, research and latest editions of knowledge papers are normally found in institutional magazines in which they prefer to hit their e-commerce platforms ( typical example is the IET UK whose books are transformed into electronic papers that spit out swiftly like flows of water at a much reduced cost to it and their members ).

Having said the above, there are disadvantages too when there isn’t hard-papers around to read because:

1.  Perhaps, only China is noted to provide Internet coverage in public transports and outdoors while its teleco service providers are being mandated by authority to be practically generous ( by virtue of China’s billion clientele ) in data rate charges and/or free data roaming which enable the practical and affordable use of  e-papers. Whereas, nationals outside China do not at present enjoy Internet coverage in public transports; and if available, it is costly to roam. So, you will find many passengers of all nature carry with them hard-papers to read.

2. Old papers are extremely useful in thesis preparations and for references as well which may not appear in e-commerce or e-books. This is especially true if you like to refer to old military books taught by military academies in this world since all are wary of theft of top secrets.

Having said, China should look into defeating too much emphasis by commercial entrepreneurs in streaming short videos as well as video gaming sessions ( unhealthy trend ) to make profits. An article today mentioned about Tencent teaming up with Nintendo to provide online gaming business ( PC Gaming Switch Console ) which is in addition to an epidemic in video gaming trend. The challenge of Alibaba’s Mr. Ma about long hours work, such video gaming business has already defeated his challenge or argument because people of all ages are walking and working with their mobiles, days and nights. Hence, how could they be effective in whatever they ( workers, students, security guards, and so forth ) do ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-26 12:54:16 |Display all floors
znz Post time: 2019-4-25 23:32
unfortunately, modern civilization started by Europeans and was based on Christianity. if china re ...

Religion like Christianity is not responsible for development of the West, that is a claim Christians like to make!  Look at China, an aetheist society, it is doing very well, now the world's second largest economy and still growing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-26 16:33:48 |Display all floors
znz Post time: 2019-4-25 23:32
unfortunately, modern civilization started by Europeans and was based on Christianity. if china re ...

Were they alive today, the ancients would have been mightily surprised their China of today can land and image back a robotic probe from the far of the moon. And that within one generation after reforms were initiated. Even the west has recognized China's speed of progress has been astonishing and unparalleled in world history. Let us therefore not be in a hurry to write China off. She is just warming up.

The "world order" is today in much disorder. The US has become a debt-building junkie stoned on its own populist propaganda, the UK is in some dreamland limbo, Europe is a cabal of western elites stiffing its eastern members, the Middle East remains religiously fractured and dependent on one unreplenishable commodity for its future while Latin America is trying to be another Philippines whose Duterte should meanwhile exchange notes with India's Modi on that one common episode in the histories of both countries, the one where foreign powers had massacred their peoples. Meanwhile Russia is crimped by US sanctions and Japan, South Korea and Australia are still in the orbit of US hegemony disguised as alliance partnerships. Which remains Africa; although with teething problems now and then, its countries with continued guidance and support from China can emerge as a galaxy of manufacturing giants this century.

China should remain resolute, progressive, benevolent and pragmatic amidst all the changes in the world swirling around. She must grow stronger in all aspects of her national development if only to provide a new narrative for the future of humanity while buttressing her peoples from the assaults by foreign powers who not solving their own domestic problems will only try to blame them on developing countries like China so as to shift attention of their voters from the personal inadequacies of their own countries' opportunistic leaders. After all what have they done which has not ended up only for themselves first? And what has China not done which has always been for all nations throughout?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-26 16:35:10 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.