Views: 80251|Replies: 53

What is ‘economy’ in Chinese [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-3-31 18:33:18 |Display all floors
That English dictionary told me 'economy’ means "How the government collect money from the public and then spend those coins on social affairs or projects.” But our Chinese version of the same term(经济) goes much complicated than the former! Here I would like tell you my personal understanding to the concept as the following:
originally refers to the vertical threads of cloth that mother used wooden machine to weave. This character should represent ‘clothing’ for people;

has three parts: The three-drop-water on the left side reminds you ‘Streams join together and then form a river’!;
                            '文’ looks like a thin scholar with weak waist that means ‘man’!
                            What is it under ‘文’?  That seems like two extra legs adding to the man! Yes, you may take it as ‘wooden legs to art                                      performer on the stage or in the street’ which instruments can let you become 3-5 meters taller in a moment!  In fact 济 means ‘to step into the river and cross it’ or simply ‘cross a river by boat’.
In general 济 in economy should represent ‘food for all citizens’ since without river-irrigation you can not grow crops for the stomach! It is river that has raised you up as the shape of 齐 shows for body-language!
In one word our Chinese saying ‘经济’ should concludes two aspects for people‘s lives: clothes and food! Which are important for the stability of the society specially in the ancient times!  Even in the modern era, you may think the real estate industry as something related to 'clothing’!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-31 18:41:29 |Display all floors
To the editor: Thanks for your instant approval to this post! I think you have been keeping an eye on my writing as teacher does to his pupil in class!
In fact it was other‘s thread that let me strike this topic!  I wish reader friends like it!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-31 20:13:06 |Display all floors
China has done a fantastic job with their infrastructure. Out spending the US on infrastructure, they have built new roads, trains, subways, etc.. This helps keeps citizens employed and facilitates even more commerce. Good job!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-1 10:47:21 |Display all floors
Boston101 Post time: 2019-3-31 20:13
China has done a fantastic job with their infrastructure. Out spending the US on infrastructure, the ...

Really! Our government has invested a large sum of money to encourage innovation in all fields and environment protection. Millions officials work hard to help the poor get out of poverty! In spring I enjoy driving along the comfortable rural roads after work although that takes me longer time to get home! I can sense the great changes taken place since President Xi took office! Here on behalf of the local people, I says thanks to him for his wise leadership! All citizens will benifit more as the government take raising living standard as the priority job of the state politics!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-1 14:47:00 |Display all floors
This post was edited by SEARU at 2019-4-5 10:07

’I find this Chinese definition of economics very interesting. And it opens a very great difference with the definition in English language, turned to the notion of a levying government, while the Chinese notion turns to the food supply to the people, and the symbology of the river as source of riches.’

The above was one friend‘s comment to my blog of the same topic.  The following was my reply:

"The word eco-nomy has two parts: The first means ‘living environment’ while the second one is ‘system or state or study’! So reasonable analysis of word structure is useful for our comprehension to some diffficult terms!
On many occasions I have urged the education authority to organize a special committee to have a good research on the difference of expressing styles of different dictionaries! People tell kids their own stories about world. We must learn from each other on teaching. Let children benifit from the culture-exchanging-market!".

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-1 14:59:25 |Display all floors
The phrase 经济 was introduced into Chinese as a translation-product which was not created by our ancestors that I think! In ancient times the Emperor and ministers talk about 国计民生(state-plan and people‘s living). They often discussed how to raise money for palace-or-tomb building, to build strong banks against possible flooding,etc.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-4-3 12:13:59 |Display all floors
Boston101 Post time: 2019-3-31 20:13
China has done a fantastic job with their infrastructure. Out spending the US on infrastructure, the ...

Please do not impress others with your lack of knowledge in public with your knowledge.

Population and needs of China are different from US.

Probably, you do not know where China or US is!

Presume you not only know nothing but just want to show your poor geography, too!

SHAME AND DISGRACE!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.