Author: pnp

'Shenzhen gov't to start fight against e-cigarettes', [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-3-2 09:53:56 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-3-1 11:20
And we are taking about China, not elswhere.  I have said it here that the devil is in the enforcem ...

I agree with you to a point. E-cigarettes fall under the mandate of "harm reduction". Tobacco cigarettes release approximately 4000 chemicals when combusted. 67 of those are known carcinogens. Remove the tobacco and the combustion, and the harm is greatly reduced. E-cigarettes have helped millions of people all around the globe to reduce the harms associated with combustible tobacco. Are they "perfectly safe"? No one can be 100% sure they are perfectly safe. Nothing is ... but e-cigarettes are magnitudes safer than combustible tobacco cigarettes. Greater than 95%, according to Public Health England and the UK College of Physicians.

Yes, some people don't like the smell. Not everybody does. The same can be said about body odor, halitosis, and perfumes/colognes. What is the smell that people don't like? Mostly the smell coming from tobacco flavoured E-liquids. Personally, I myself don't like the smell of tobacco e-juices, but some people need that taste/smell in order to not light up a cigarette. It reminds them of smoking (some people smoke purely because they enjoy the smell, taste, and sensations). I know that may be hard to believe, but it's true.

As for the enforcement issue ... governments are all about the money. As long as the tax revenue is coming in from the sale of tobacco products, enforcement is a null point. They will mouth the words, but will only make a token attempt at enforcing. It's a double-edged sword, really.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-2 11:21:42 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-3-2 09:53
I agree with you to a point. E-cigarettes fall under the mandate of "harm reduction". Tobacco ciga ...

"but e-cigarettes are magnitudes safer than combustible tobacco cigarettes"

I can agree with that up to a point, some degrees safer, not 'magnitudes safer', but t is still best for non-smokers and the young to never start puffing  e-cigarettes, and end up trapped in that habit, detrimental to their health!  Let the smokers puff  thrm, can't be worse than cigarettes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-2 12:48:17 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-3-2 09:53
I agree with you to a point. E-cigarettes fall under the mandate of "harm reduction". Tobacco ciga ...

"As for the enforcement issue ... governments are all about the money. As long as the tax revenue is coming in from the sale of tobacco products, enforcement is a null point."

Govts are short-sighted, especially Chinese Govt which, allows state-owned enterprise to control tobacco sales, and prevent stricter enforcement against smoking, allowing only tiny health warning on cigarette packs, nothing like in Australia and Singapore, which have mandated plain packaging with prominent graphic warnings of smoking hazards!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-2 12:53:15 |Display all floors
Just reported, AFP news: "Quebec's appeals court on Friday upheld a historic ruling ordering three tobacco firms to pay Can$15.5 billion (US$11.6 billion) to smokers in the Canadian province who claimed they were never warned about the health risks associated with smoking."  
If that can happen in Canada, no health warnings, more so in China, but who is taking the tobacco company i n China to court?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-3 00:50:15 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-3-2 11:21
"but e-cigarettes are magnitudes safer than combustible tobacco cigarettes"

I can agree with that ...

In Canada, it is illegal for minors (<19 yoa) to purchase or use vape products. Unfortunately, they still manage to get their hands on them. The same with alcohol. If you are under the age of 19, you are not allowed to purchase booze, or drink. That also goes for voting. But ... you can join the military at 17, and train to kill people.

Sometimes Life is totally without logic.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-3 00:53:13 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-3-2 12:53
Just reported, AFP news: "Quebec's appeals court on Friday upheld a historic ruling ordering three t ...
If that can happen in Canada, no health warnings, more so in China, but who is taking the tobacco company i n China to court?

Since the government controls the tobacco industry, wouldn't taking them to court be against the "National Security" laws???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-3-3 11:24:19 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-3-3 00:50
In Canada, it is illegal for minors (

"But ... you can join the military at 17, and train to kill people."

Ha, so true!  Every law has its loopholes for ppl to exploit, same here in China; have seen junior high schoolers smoking at bus stops!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.