Author: reedak

What has gone wrong with American democracy?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-9 12:07:59 |Display all floors
Despite both USA and Canada having their respective police forces as members of Interpol, the two countries also have biliateral treaty governing these matters. That is what was applied here.

Then invoke the relevant clauses in the bilateral treaty to sue Huawei then if you think you are in the right and agreements have been violated.  The surreptitious and underhanded way this is done in Meng's case proves that the U.S. isn't confident that any law has been violated.  

Not observing agreements is America's forte -- witness the number of times it has sold non-defensive weapons to Taiwan in vagrant violation of the Three Communiques of 1972, 79 and 87, which were essentially three bilateral agreements.

By your logic here China should have arrested John Bolton because the three bilateral agreements have obviously been violated by the U.S. and this is tantamount to criminal violation making Bolton subjectable to arrest on his transit flight to Middle East through a neighboring country friendly to China, and then extradited to China for possible water torturing and other CIA methodologies.

Just like China chooses bilateral relations with many countries, despite there also being multilateral organizations that could handle the affairs. But in China's case, that's bigboy syndrome. Negotiating with individual weaker countries instead of bigger collectives

Nonsense -- makes no sense, not even when translated into Swahihi.

And what a member China has been. Naming an obviously corrupted representative, by chance also named Meng, as chief of the organization, only to be later abducted himself by none other than Chinese government. Where was the due process in that, I wonder?

Hey hey, wake up!

Your confused mumbling reminds me of that pock-marked character in Elm Street 1,2,3.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 12:21:54 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2019-1-8 23:43
The words you were looking for were "censoring", "state propaganda", and "accessible to".

I don't use Animal-Farm style vocabulary.

FYI, your attempted deployment of the three words is totally misplaced.

1984 had gone by uneventfully and there's nothing for you to wax nostalgic about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 12:38:18 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-9 12:07
Then invoke the relevant clauses in the bilateral treaty to sue Huawei then if you think you are i ...
Then invoke the relevant clauses in the bilateral treaty to sue Huawei then if you think you are in the right and agreements have been violated.

Do note that I am not making judgement on guilt or innocence of either Huawei or Meng, but I hope Canadian and US authorities do it - not me, not you, not the Chinese government or the Chinese mob.

To me the information provided about the case (information which Meng herself has asked to restrict as much as is possible), hints sufficient evidence for legal action, and her being the global Chief Financial Officer of Huawei, she is the only individual in the company that could be personally held responsible.

Somebody has to go to court, and she is the best person for that.

By your logic here China should have arrested John Bolton

Equivalent to Huawei/Meng case would have been, if John Bolton had went to Bank of China (even if branch in USA) to get funding to sell arms to Taiwan, and lie to the bank about doing that. Then Chinese authorities would have a case against Bolton for committing fraud against Chinese bank.

Otherwise what you state is not about justice or law, but revenge and threats.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 12:56:59 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-9 12:21
I don't use Animal-Farm style vocabulary.

FYI, your attempted deployment of the three words is to ...
words is totally misplaced.

"unwilling to spend money on censoring a public forum for state propaganda because it wants to keep its citizens accessible to the truth"

As far as Chinese view is concerned, the above is probably everything that there is wrong about American democracy.

You just need to extend "public forum" into every aspect of freedoms that their democracy provides.

Continued failure to implement Chinese authoritariamism, is what's wrong with American democracy, apparently.

1984 had gone by uneventfully

Sounds about right.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 14:21:56 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-12-31 20:58
Incorrect. Only parts of the government get shut down, and since USA is not China, it barely aff ...

Yes, the USA has so much individual freedom that even the dead  are free to be elected to office.

Yes, Americans are less susceptible to problems that they don't mind to elect a dead pimp to a state assembly.  
Donald Trump's infamous Hitler-style rabble-rousing chants:  "Lock her up!  Lock her up!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 15:27:01 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2019-1-9 12:07
Then invoke the relevant clauses in the bilateral treaty to sue Huawei then if you think you are i ...

Besides, the bilateral US-Canada extradition treaty does not deal with the crimes that Meng or Huawei are accused of. The extradition treaty is about extraditions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-9 17:21:28 |Display all floors
reedak Post time: 2019-1-9 14:21
Yes, the USA has so much individual freedom that even the dead  are free to be elected to office.

Personally I'd be more concerned, if the dead (pimps or not) somehow came back to take those offices they were elected to. Even if this wouldn't predate a wide scale zombie acopalypse, as an atheist such display of after-life would put me into difficult position.

Other than that, people sometime die at most inconvenient times, and it is quite inconsiderate of them. This could happen (and I'm sure has happened) even in China, where "free" elections take place at very grassroot levels in villages and equivalents.

Bigger problem than accidentally dying while running into office, would be politically motivated assassination directly linked to someone running for office.

But even the dead electees serve a purpose.

Dependiing on electoral system, sometimes bigger consideration than who gets (or in this case doesn't get) to run the office is what the voters seem to want.

In my home country some votes always go to Mickey Mouse and Elvis, though those votes always get disqualified due to the candidates missing registration. But even those disqualified votes tell something about what the voters think.

Often the overal voting activity is more important than other results - is it 10% or 105% (as somewhere has been case), because such extremes would show real problems in democracy.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.