Author: ceciliazhang

Chinese high court orders retrial of Canadian citizen   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2019-1-26 13:15:11 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-1-26 10:43
Yes, I heard him on CGTN and he has many good points!  So there is still hope she may not be extra ...

Canadian minister cannot get involved, period. Law is kept separate from the courts here, unlike in other countries. Even if it is found that she can be extradited, Meng has several avenues of appeal open to her, which could probably keep this case before the courts for years. By the time it's all over and done with, the United States could very well just give up on extradition ... especially if they are able to secure a trade deal with China.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-26 13:19:11 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-1-26 11:23
Missed that 'retract' part!  
What a pity, the envoy has no guts to speak his mind, must be under  ...

No, not under pressure at all. Under our laws, he should not have said anything because the case is still before the courts. Doing so can cause irreparable damage to either side's case. This was nothing more than a classic case of a politician putting his mouth in motion before putting his brain in gear.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-26 14:01:23 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-1-26 13:10
He retracted it because he was not legally allowed to say anything in the first place.

What's the difference between he saying it and we here saying it?  He was merely expressing an opinion, that should never be construed as interferring in the case at all!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-26 14:11:48 |Display all floors
cmknight Post time: 2019-1-26 13:19
No, not under pressure at all. Under our laws, he should not have said anything because the case i ...

He has  a point, "He cited political comments on the case by US President Donald Trump, the "extraterritorial aspect" of Meng's case, and the fact that Canada did not sign on to the Iran sanctions that Washington wants her extradited for."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-26 14:26:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2019-1-26 14:58
cmknight Post time: 2019-1-26 13:03
Perhaps you should be educating Chinese citizens about breaking the laws in other countries. Far m ...

"Perhaps you should be educating Chinese citizens about breaking the laws in other countries."

You must have missed my many comments and even threads on Chinese peoples' bad behavior overseas and in China!  But this is not the topic now; we are discussing a more serious matter of drug smuggling!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2019-1-26 15:33:49 |Display all floors
pnp Post time: 2019-1-26 14:01
What's the difference between he saying it and we here saying it?  He was merely expressing an opi ...

I totally agree.  He was just expressing his own opinion.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2019-1-26 17:12:25 |Display all floors
Boston101 Post time: 2019-1-25 23:56
Another question is, why Meng had so many passports including a special Chinese elite one?  And Huaw ...
  1. Another question is, why Meng had so many passports including a special Chinese elite one?
Copy code
What is a " special Chinese elite one" passport ?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.