Author: ceciliazhang

Is it moral to create genetically modified babies?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-11-27 11:11:55 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2018-11-27 10:59
In principle, personally I don't consider editing human DNA a nasty evil, if it could be done "right ...

I can understand gene editing technique is used to prevent genetic disease, but shouldn't we figure out what will be the long term effects on the two girls before the experiment is carried out?  What will their potential offspring inherit? At the moment we just have no idea of what might come out of the gene editing Pandora's box.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-27 12:43:37 |Display all floors
Elitism is ultimatum! Human beings have been striving for!
There is nothing incorrect to have genetically engineering human beings. They will come from human beings!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-27 13:51:39 |Display all floors
it should be banned before its social influences are fully explored, and it should continue to be banned before people are convinced they can control it and can avoid the bad impacts.
Really I don't see humans are prepared for it for another 100 years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-27 14:20:42 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-11-27 11:11
I can understand gene editing technique is used to prevent genetic disease, but shouldn't we figur ...
used to prevent genetic disease, but shouldn't we figure out what will be the long term effects

That was my point exactly. We (still with all our research and experience) don't know enough of the basic science of human body to figure such things out. If this consideration is too big to let this kind of experiments carried out, then such projects should be shelved for another 100 or 500 years, until we have a complete and final understanding of how our bodies work, down to indivudual genes.

But it is hard to figure out something that we don't know. That's also why new traditional medicines must go through extensive clinical trials - and sometimes we only later find that there are some risks that could not be foreseen without clinical trials in large populations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-27 23:11:32 |Display all floors
There is a rational concern about possible unknown harmful results to gene modification. But that is not a "moral" concern (It is a "practical" concern - to be overcome by proper science). The basic idea of humans improving the genes of babies seems reasonable and moral. And, even if the "modified" babies were (at first) a "privileged elite", laws could be passed to make such improvements available to all. We have a right to use our knowledge to improve our lives.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-28 00:06:09 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2018-11-27 11:01
Hmm,
Is it moral to give birth to HIV babies?

Is it moral to attempt producing a baby when one, or both, of the parents involved knowingly have HIV?
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-28 00:08:41 |Display all floors
ceciliazhang Post time: 2018-11-27 11:11
I can understand gene editing technique is used to prevent genetic disease, but shouldn't we figur ...

So, because we don't know what's going to happen in the future, we just don't do it to begin with? Fear is a very powerful indeed. So is drinking the Kool-Aid.
Stupid people are like Glowsticks. You want to snap them in half and shake the crap out of them until they see the light.
I love sarcasm. It's like punching someone in the head ... only with words

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.