Author: ceciliazhang

China investigates hygiene scandals in five-star hotels   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-11-19 13:44:29 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-11-19 14:09
wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-19 13:17
Having traveled to all corners of China and 48 states of the U.S., and driven across America from o ...

"Maybe I am just being lucky, but I seriously doubt that we need to go to this extreme to 'self-monitor' what each employee does in cleaning up individual rooms."

You are entitled to you opinion, but millions of Chineses travellers, after the exposure of this scandal, would probably disagree with you, going by the tone of their reactions. You seem to trust the cleaners too much to do their job right, but time and again, they have been found wanting!  And your extensive travels do not tell you of wrondoings because no one exposed them to you.  You are like the proverbial ostrich which buries its head in the sand and pretend all is fine!  I would rather be safe than sorry!  Yes, I support the use of cameras by hotels to monitor their cleaners; it is very reassuring to guests to know that cleaners are being monitired while they work.  This is the same as restaurants using cameras to monitor their cooks in the kitchen and sending live images to the dining areas where customers can see and be assured that their food is clean, and there is no monkey business going on in the kitchen, like picking up food that has accidentally fallen on the floor and throwing them back into the frying pan again!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-19 13:48:55 |Display all floors
wondershutter Post time: 2018-11-19 11:25
i am always travel around and stay in the hotel and seldom stay in the fancy 5 star hotel only if th ...

Ah so!

No need to be over-alarmed.  

This is a false-flag issue.

No one has gone sick after visiting any hotel in this parade of hidden-camera journalism.

It is a fluke issue because it can be safely solved after using only hermetically-sealed plastic covers for the glasses.

Do you know how much it costs to arm each hotel room-maid with police self-monitoring equipment?

It's just like the suggestion that every Chinese ought to be English-savvy by age 5.

TOTAL NONSENSICAL suggestion not realizing that the costs involved is prohibitive.

Maybe only American-owned 5-star hotels like Hilton should be monitored that closely -- but then only to ascertain that no hanky-panky business is in progress behind closed doors so as not to soil clean bed-sheets again and again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-19 15:34:07 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-18 18:18
Yup, and they are usually Western hotel chains like the Marriot.

I do believe this is pretty prev ...

"Only use cups with sealed plastic wraps, which is now quite common in all hotels in China."

I feel real sorry for you if you think and rely on those wrapped cups.  Undercover reporters have exposed the way cups, dishes, cutleries are washed in filthy environment, with dirty water, without even a rinse, just a wipe with a piece of dirty towel, then packed and wrapped in plastics and placed before unsuspecting diners in high end restaurants!  Don't be fooled by the plastic wrappers!  You'd be sorry to find, as often the case, dirt sticking on the wrapped dishes, cups etc.!  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-19 15:57:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by wchao37 at 2018-11-19 15:58
pnp Post time: 2018-11-19 15:34
"Only use cups with sealed plastic wraps, which is now quite common in all hotels in China."

I fe ...

Just one question for the day, dear pnp:

How come you are still alive and well, despite all these years of listening to bad English and exposing yourself to germs day-in and day-out from touching and drinking from those hotel cups?

Your survival goes to show that if you have to watch for every germ under the microscope, you'd have been consumed by your own phobia.

There are those amongst us that wouldn't use their bare hands to open a door by turning the door knob for fear of contamination -- it was designated a psychiatric disorder.

And in fact the children who survive infectious-disease epidemics are the ones from underdeveloped nations because they are the ones who have built up immunity against the germs, and the ones who get killed the fastest are the ones who wouldn't even turn a door knob to open a door.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-19 16:43:44 |Display all floors
This scandal has gone international;

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-20 11:39:53 |Display all floors
wchao37 Post time: 2018-11-19 15:57
Just one question for the day, dear pnp:

How come you are still alive and well, despite all these  ...

"Your survival goes to show that if you have to watch for every germ under the microscope, you'd have been consumed by your own phobia.'

You are adopting a very simplistic approach.  For sure I am not having a phobia, neither are the millions of netizens who are up in arms over this despicable scandal.  No one should have to pay for such dirty service, even if that does not make him/her drop dead!  Every customer is entitled to a reasonable standard of cleanliness!  I am surprsied you have such a low expectation of 5 Star hotel service, despite paying top price for it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-20 11:42:46 |Display all floors
Just as I reported here, CD has confirmed below:

"Global hospitality giants Hilton and IHG have apologized for the actions of employees who leaked personal information about a blogger who revealed shoddy cleaning practices at 14 luxury hotels across the country."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.