Views: 11127|Replies: 6

Homework overload affecting parents, not just students in China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-11-11 15:01:51 |Display all floors
Too much homework can be damaging to the health of students, and a recent medical case in China has shown that it's not healthy for their parents either.

Stories of stressed Chinese parents dealing with their children's homework have been circulating on Chinese social media, with many jokingly writing that they should start searching for new parents, to avoid tutoring their kids.

A 33-year-old mother in Nanjing was hospitalized in late October after suffering an acute cerebral infarction, a lesion caused by the narrowing of the arteries supplying blood and oxygen to the brain. The stroke reportedly occurred after the woman became incensed because her daughter was wasting time late at night, instead of finishing her schoolwork.

The mother recovered, but the story resonated with many parents.

"I tutored my son with his homework until he was in fifth grade. Then I was hospitalized with a myocardial infarction and needed to have two heart stents implanted. Compared to living, I decided to let the homework go," said @Fengchuixueluo.

"I am tutoring my child right now. The teacher asked him to finish the simple math work in 10 minutes included writing his name. And three minutes later, my son is still 'working' on his name. I have to try my best to keep me from yelling at him," said @Woxianggengdongnilihui.

With Chinese society valuing a student's interests and hands-on skills, homework is no longer just about knowledge from textbooks. Parents have been required to help their children to finish handcrafts or to prepare teaching materials for school.

A survey last year found that Chinese students spend around three hours per day on their homework, 3.7 times more than their Japanese peers and 4.8 times that of pupils in South Korea. Chinese parents have now been involved in this heavy workload.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-11 21:44:18 |Display all floors
I really do not want my child or relatives' children get into those troubles, I just want them grow up happily and healthily

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-12 09:32:13 |Display all floors
If you have a cool observation on Chinese education system and compared with our foreign counterparts, we do many things in silly way!
The top priority of schooling should be let kids become interested in lessons and hooked by science who would drive themselves to do exploring job by all means. Too much valuation or remarks such as the examination-results mean nothing worth on pence!
Childish pure  mindset can simplify your life which let you live in a light way! Without man-made troubles you will work in high efficiency!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-12 11:43:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by pnp at 2018-11-13 11:29

Chinese parents suffer from fear of losing to their compatriots; hence they send their children to all sorts of classes to make them one step ahead of the pack, not realising that they are stressing out the poor kids, resulting in many behaving like zombies!  And some had even jumped off buildings as they couldn't take the stress and expectations of their parents!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-13 09:50:10 |Display all floors
sorry for these parents ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-11-14 16:18:46 |Display all floors
Stress does not help with kids learning i can assure you that. Lesson the homework and have more short ungraded quizzes at the end of the class in exam conditions. Next lesson go through the questions with answers and reasoning. I believe homework should be small revision tasks of what is learnt during in class.  

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.