Author: UYA

How does China have a low "cost of living"? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-9-16 20:58:12 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-16 19:55
Ten uan doesn't buy you the ingredients for a healthy meal: I bouht mushrooms for RMB 3.50, bonele ...
Ten uan doesn't buy you the ingredients for a healthy meal:

Well, it really depends on ones definition of a meal, or what each individual considers to need for such.

For example, my favourite local street food joint (that I've mentioned before in other threads here) sells chili potatos (crispy on outside and soft on the inside) for 7 RMB (5 for small potion). Add to that a can of coca cola for 2.5 RMB, and my unhealthy but personally acceptable and cheap lunch is complete for less than 10 RMB.

And since I do this on average twice a week, in long term it equals 1 days worth of warm meals per week, and that's without cooking and basically eating out.

Of course I complete my weekly needs with far more expensive intake most other days.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-9-16 20:58:33 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-16 20:52
I wish I had bought broccoli too… 4 kuai a pop is a decent price. BUt your meal contains no meat. ...

i eat meat, but i am saying if i had to Live on 1.25 usd a day this would be part of my diet. i would eat a bowl of noodles once a week, then Live on veg. people who lve on 1.25usd will have cooking facilities like an electric stove, And you only have to buy sauces once every 3 months or so. a whole broccoli can last 2 days and its quite filling. noodles is Worse than macdonalds for our bodies
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-16 21:09:38 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-9-16 21:13:31 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-16 21:09
Good luck with this diet if you really need to save money so as not to crack a budget set on US$ 1 ...

Well my 1st comment was i dont believe Anybody now has to livee on less than 10rmb a day in china. Even the beggers make more than that
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-16 21:29:21 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2018-9-16 21:13
Well my 1st comment was i dont believe Anybody now has to livee on less than 10rmb a day in china. ...
Even the beggers make more than that

You are right, but only if go to wealth beyond money. Many of the poorest farmers in rural mountains have close to zero income, but they get by with their vegetables, chicken, pigs and occassional help from neighbours and relatives.

How do you value that? Some outsiders might call their lifestyle and environment worth 100 RMB a day, but usually not themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-9-16 21:52:30 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2018-9-16 21:09
Good luck with this diet if you really need to save money so as not to crack a budget set on US$ 1 ...

ol'chap, in China we don't use uncle Sam's greenback...

Whatever we purchase is done in local currency called RMB.  
The yuan is China's national currency. It's known locally as the renminbi, which means "the money of the people."
More than a quarter of cross-border trade was settled in the Chinese currency in 2017, and more than 60 countries have adopted it as their reserve...

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2018-9-16 23:16:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.