Views: 29566|Replies: 9

China unperturbed by trade war at the street level - Reuters Poll [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-8-15 11:33:50 |Display all floors
According to a poll by Reuters, Chinese residents at the street level are largely unbothered by US President Trump's bluster and swapping of trade war rhetoric with China, though some mixed feelings on exactly how China should respond to the US.

Key quotes

"Reuters talked to a cross section of 50 people, mainly from the two cities, about how concerned they are about the trade war, what they think Beijing’s response would be, and whether they think Chinese people should boycott American products in retaliation.

The interviews showed there is no palpable sense of crisis or panic yet. There is division and confusion over how China should respond to Trump, with some arguing that Beijing should strike back at American interests but others saying they didn’t know what could be done.

But perhaps most worrying for American businesses selling in China, a significant minority of the people interviewed – 14, or 28 percent - want to stop buying American products now, and some say they are already boycotting anything made in the U.S. Others said they would continue to buy American but that could change in the future.

Asked whether they were worried about the trade war, only 11 of the 50 (22 percent) said they were, and 39 (or 78 percent) said they weren’t concerned.

-Asked what Beijing should do in response to Trump’s punitive tariffs, 19 (or 38 percent) said that it should strike back hard. The rest came up with various responses, including a refocus on development of the domestic economy, building other export markets, while 8 (or 16 percent) said they had no idea what the government should do.

-Asked whether they would stop buying U.S. products, 14 said they would, 31 said they wouldn’t (some indicated their views could change if the trade war intensifies), and five didn’t have a view.

Believe it or not, it's true.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-8-15 15:18:01 |Display all floors
50 people
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-16 11:56:31 |Display all floors
Hi, sorry to have to borrow your thread to reply to parcher in another thread which has closed.  I can't let him have the last say, especially when it is full of malicious lies!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-8-17 08:35:38 |Display all floors
This post was edited by parcher at 2018-8-17 09:47

post inverification....try again.i wonder sometimes if your account has been hacked by a7 yr old because you are coming across as one spoilt brat. its easy to attack when said poster is not here to defend himself from you and your mob. And for The record ,i have had more disagreements with seneca than any other poster on this forum. Even when he is banned your mob cant helpthemselves glorifying his absence. All exremely childish but thats what we have come to expect from your mob.......this is The last msge i will write on this issue, but fire away And have The last say.....sums you up
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2018-8-17 08:41:50 |Display all floors
post in verification

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-17 11:09:36 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2018-8-17 08:35
post inverification....try again.i wonder sometimes if your account has been hacked by a7 yr old bec ...

Someone posted a thread directed at your crony; every thread posted here invites comments, and I was doing just that, expressing an opinion. What's wrong with that?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-17 11:12:17 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2018-8-17 08:35
post inverification....try again.i wonder sometimes if your account has been hacked by a7 yr old bec ...

"And for The record ,i have had more disagreements with seneca than any other poster on this forum. "

That may be true, but you never received personal attacks from him, unlike many of us, so you are not qualified to defend him!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.