Author: UYA

China thinks long-term on financial stability — so should we   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2018-8-15 01:42:36 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2018-8-12 15:37
You are long winded
I'm sure Fox News will agree with that opinion.

TheGlobe, August 7th, 2018
"China may have to start buying U.S. soybeans again in coming weeks despite the trade war between the two countries as other regions cannot supply enough soybeans to meet China’s needs, Hamburg-based oilseeds analysts Oil World said on Tuesday.

In July, China imposed import tariffs on a list of U.S. goods, including soybeans, as part of the trade dispute with the United States. China is the world’s largest soybean importer and has been seeking alternative supplies, especially in South America, where supplies available for export are down.

“China has to resume purchases of U.S. soybeans,” Oil World said in its latest newsletter. “The South American supply shortage will make it necessary for China, in our opinion, to import 15 million tonnes of U.S. soybeans in October 2018/March 2019, even if the current trade war is not resolved.”

Chinese purchases of U.S. soybeans could restart “in coming weeks,” Oil World added.

Soybeans, crushed to make cooking oil and the protein-rich animal feed ingredient soymeal, were the biggest U.S. agriculture export to China last year at a value of US$12.3-billion, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Oil World said with South American export supplies expected to be down sizably from a year earlier in the next six months, China will face very tight domestic soybean supplies unless it resumes large-scale purchases of U.S. soybeans.

“There is a risk that China will have to cut back its livestock production, implying higher prices on the domestic market,” it said.

China is also likely to raise imports of processed soymeal as an alternative to soybeans for crushing, it said. Ironically, this may mean China could still end up with U.S. soybeans that have been processed in Argentina.

“The biggest increase is likely to be seen in soymeal exports from Argentina to China,” Oil World said. “If China begins purchasing Argentine soymeal, a lack of soybean supplies in Argentina is likely to raise Argentine imports of U.S. soybeans.”"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-15 01:45:09 |Display all floors
To put it in perspective the US soy industry is only about 28 billion per year in its entirety.

Only half of that goes to China. The other half would at least be sold for 50% of its value if not more likely 75%. So the US soya industry at a whole at worst would just go from being a 28 billion industry to a 21 billion industry.  Not a big deal in the big scheme of things in the trade war and nothing the rest of the US economy will feel. We give far more than that as chump change aid to random countries across the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-15 05:41:29 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2018-8-12 15:40
Why would China (or any country) need to all its land to be arable?
Where will people live?
China ...

If China doesn't need more arable land, then why is China importing so much food; such as soy?

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2018-8-15 12:42:29 |Display all floors
TruismStrike Post time: 2018-8-15 01:27
This is so silly. Do you really believe that? Every Soybean in the US could die tomorrow and  ...

I don't think its silly to the American workers who grow and sell the stuff.
The richest people in the US (who control most of the wealth), could care less.
The people who are most affected are the blue collar hard working Americans.
The consumers who value "cheap" goods to balance a tight budget.

Time will tell how things will play out.
In a card game.....
China holds the cards.
America is "all in" in a bluff.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-16 23:20:20 |Display all floors
UYA Post time: 2018-8-15 12:42
The richest people in ...

quote]
I don't think its silly to the American workers who grow and sell the stuff.[/quote]

Sure it is because they get to sell it to South America who will sell it China. And the US government has promised to compensate him. They lose little and in reality those redneck farmers are some of the most anti-chinese patriotic types around. They don't care. There is no uproar.

Also you are talking about a tiny number of people. Looks very desperate on your part. The entire $ of people employed on all US farms is about 925,000 only in 2017. At MOST 300,000 work in Soya produtcs. 60% of US soya production is domestically consumed, and CHina only get half of all the exports. And those soybeans will still get sold because someone will be hungry. Ao at the most you are talking maybe about 50,000 people you are really affecting. Do we care if we lose farming jobs? Not really. Terrible jobs.

While the US is targeting essentially hundreds of millions of Chinese by targeting ALL Chinese processing trade. 46% of all Chinese trade and 100% of it's trade with it's biggest trade partner the US. It isn't even a contest who is winning so far.

The people who are most affected are the blue collar hard working Americans.

Pretty desperate trying to talk about what is at most 50,000 soyabean workers who can get a similar paying job in ANY other employment they find since it is already minimum wage. 50,000 of the worst jobs out of a country of 328 million... not impressive... desperate of you.

People in the US are CHEERING the sanctions against China. Democrat and republican. At this point Trump doesn't have to do anything since congress is now pushing for the trade war even harder than he is. It has gotten to the point where this is not something even Trump could stop if he wanted to anymore.

China holds the cards.

Then why does China need to hack, steal, and blackmail foreigners for the knowledge, know-how, and tech to do almost everything?

Only thing China holds is it's own delusions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-17 12:34:16 |Display all floors
TruismStrike Post time: 2018-8-16 23:20
quote]

[/quote]

Your posts are starting to sound like a supporter of a banned poster, who uses emojis
Looks very desperate on your part.
Pretty desperate
desperate of you

Why is this about "me" now?
I'm just pointing out reasons for my opinion.
Your starting to make this a "personal" thing?
YOU nor I KNOW what will happen in the future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2018-8-17 12:42:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by UYA at 2018-8-17 14:30
Boston101 Post time: 2018-8-15 05:41
If China doesn't need more arable land, then why is China importing so much food; such as soy?

How much food does China import?
Most Soy products are Asian used.
Feeding 20% of the world population, requires a lot of food.

Tell me why America has a higher poverty rate, when it has more arable land than China?
Why does America have a growing homeless population?
How can America have more "social" problems, when it is richer and more land than China?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.