Author: JamesYao

Why do not I believe that Western democracy system is good for all countries?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-11-6 15:53:57 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-11-6 11:29
In that sense, I would claim that the democracy in Philippines has too much Chinese characterist ...

Then you are being bias. You are implying that whatever that is bad is Chinese. What proof have you got?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 16:54:58 |Display all floors
I love china very much, China needs a stable and pease enviroment to develope it's economy, the Chinese people had suffered from countless Wars since Qing Dynasty. So we are so fear of Wars at any time in any style. Any form of political system is perfect as long as it is good to peace. The western so called Democracy is not necessarily good and the chinese political system is not may bad. So accecept it as it was, you will suffer more less. Or you won't sleep well in the midnight.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 17:06:04 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-11-6 15:53
Then you are being bias. You are implying that whatever that is bad is Chinese. What proof have yo ...

This is not a discussion about truths, but about opinions.

My argument is that Philippines, like China, has been without rule of law. It is also a corrupt country, just like China has been.

Without those characteristics that Philippines shares with China, the country would - I argue - thrive with democracy.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 18:47:37 |Display all floors
Jaaja Post time: 2017-11-6 17:06
This is not a discussion about truths, but about opinions.

My argument is that Philippines, like  ...

If you have made it clearer, that would avoid this misunderstanding. Maybe my English is not so good.

However, I see this not only happening in Philippines, but in other so called democratic developing countries as well. They remain the same because the democratic setting allows for too many opinions that would cloud out good policies due to squabbles and selfish interests. For certain countries, Abraham Maslow's hierarchy of needs is more important than freedom to vote with an empty stomach. This is my opinion.

If I do not reply to you the next time, it is because I am busy for the next week or so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 22:40:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-5 18:06
The Chinese ruling clique has a very unique definition of democracy. It certainly differs from the ...

I'm basically optimistic about human progress including in China. I also tend to be patient and cautious. China is a giant with much potential for internal disorder. Democracy is risky.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-6 23:48:35 |Display all floors
huaqiao Post time: 2017-11-6 18:47
If you have made it clearer, that would avoid this misunderstanding. Maybe my English is not so go ...
However, I see this not only happening in Philippines, but in other so called democratic developing countries as well. They remain the same because the democratic setting allows for too many opinions that would cloud out good policies due to squabbles and selfish interests.

I agree that western democracy is not ideal model to go from undeveloped country to developed country, and especially not if you want to do it fast.

But I believe that the source for western criticism is not about political models, but lack of good governance and related issues.

Singapore was mentioned on this forum, as an example of a country that does not follow western democracy but still runs very well. How much do westerners criticize Singapore? Very little, I believe.

That shows, that if a country can implement good governance, westerners do not really care whether the country is democratic or not. Western viewers care more about concrete problems, like corruption.

So if some undeveloped country wants to become developed, by all means ignore democracy, but that does not give permit to crush the civil society and ignore all laws if it has any to begin with.

China has had many problems with corruption and related matters, but being so secretive country, majority of westerners cannot discern how much of that is inherent propertiy of the political system and how much just unrelated issues that the political system fails to correct.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-11-7 03:02:59 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-11-2 01:01
Here is an enlightening reply to inform you of a real existing and working Western democracy: th ...

Indeed, it's hard to equal the wisdom of the Swiss. How they combine such capitalism with general prosperity amazes me. How they can be multicultural but still so stable.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.