Views: 14580|Replies: 11

Should married students be offered special dorms [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-10-31 14:47:14 |Display all floors
This post was edited by senoritazhao at 2017-11-1 15:33

Inside of a dormitory for married students at Nankai University in Tianjin. [Photo/qq.com]

A][color=rgb(65,]The post was forwarded and commented on by netizens, most of whom supported the university. Some even thought the policy might encourage students to get married while in school.

The][color=rgb(65,]Students need to provide their campus ID and marriage certificates to apply for the dorms, according to a message posted on the university's social media account on Thursday.

There][color=rgb(65,]Sun said the rooms, about 20 square meters each, are equipped with a double bed, wardrobe, a desk and shelf for two, a private bathroom and other basic furniture.

She][color=rgb(65,]"Five more couples have checked in for this semester, and currently there are eighteen married student couples living in the dorms," Sun said.

She][color=rgb(65,]Sun said the university provides special dorms for couples as a courtesy, and will continue doing so as long as there is enough space.

"Some][color=rgb(65,]"Currently, all the couples who have applied for the dorms are master's degree or doctoral students. Getting married is an individual behavior, and the university will not interfere in their personal decisions," she added.

Fan Xueni, 27, a second-year master's degree student, observed: "In general, for master's students, four people share a dorm, and two doctoral students share a dorm with affordable prices."

Fan's boyfriend is studying in Beijing, and they must rent a hotel room anytime they meet in Tianjin.

"I think few students meet the conditions. I don't see many married students around me, let alone both attending the same university. Most of my friends are in long-distance relationships, or dating people at their university - not married," Fan said.

In September 2005, the Ministry of Education scrapped a rule saying that undergraduates' freedom to marry would no longer be restricted under China's Marriage Law and marriage registration regulations.

The new rule meant that undergraduate-age couples - men 22 and above; women 20 and above - could get married as they wished, like other Chinese citizens.

Cai Xiao, 26, now a doctoral candidate in cognitive neuroscience at Renmin University of China, was one of the later beneficiaries:

"I married my husband in 2014 when I was a senior in college," she said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 19:11:14 |Display all floors
Natural and normal.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 19:29:46 |Display all floors
The overall picture matters. I think that it makes sense to require both of the couple to be registered in the school which offers the dorm - if that is not suitable for them, they can look for apartment in the free market.

For the couple themselves, this living together arrangement is probably the first such experience that they have.

Young adults' relations always have some rough edges (when you still barely know yourself, much less other people), and even trying to live together, while still being daily surrounded by classmates and other friends , should be considered a valuable time to smoothen those edges.

Perhaps you find that you are not so compatible as you thought when you got married, and without children or house bought, it is not too late to reconsider. Or perhaps you just can use this time to learn more about the other person, so your later life will be simpler and happier.

Once they leave the school, and maybe start work career and/or raising children, married life will be very different. Then they can look back and be blessed with the experience and memory of different life in beginning of the marriage.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-10-31 20:21:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 22:49:01 |Display all floors
How much do they rent baby cribs for?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-10-31 23:42:22 |Display all floors
DMZappa Post time: 2017-10-31 15:49
How much do they rent baby cribs for?

You want to move in ?
Round Up is good for developing the mind

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-11-1 09:46:33 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.