Views: 14005|Replies: 83

Learn English for International Projects!   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-7 13:13:52 |Display all floors
This post was edited by cestmoi at 2017-2-7 16:01

Recently I experienced both the pleasure and the pain interacting with Chinese in everyday life and on technical projects.

The young Chinese are enormously professional, courteous, talented and ambitious but loyal. These are all qualities I value. However, their English is almost as limited as my Putonghua and between my broken Chinese, a (possibly A.I.) translation app and their school English, we managed to communicate some rather complex design concepts.

In everyday life, I breakfast every morning at an American fast food outlet ( the coffee is okay). There is a bubbly girl who loves to serve me and practices her English on me whilst the others either shrink from me or smirk at my awful, accented Putonghua. The bubbly girl is extroverted and obviously like the fun of interacting with people.

My take from this is simple. It's the fault of the English teachers here.

Make English lessons fun, teach conversational English, do not grade, put down or laugh at students making mistakes. I don't give a flying frack about grammatical correctness, just make it fun to interact in English.

ADDENDUM There! I corrected my freaking fracking grammar, so sod off, u grammar-nazi
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-2-7 16:33:07 |Display all floors
That's probably why they have the lowest salaries for teachers then..
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-7 18:51:35 |Display all floors
If they are so talented how is it possible that after studying for 10 years or more their English level is so low? Talented people can speak English after couple of years of studying.

Loyal? You must mean loyal to the highest bidder. I have seen people changing jobs in China for 100 RMB more per month.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-7 19:24:34 |Display all floors
translation app ..  lol ..
my oral teacher , she is tired of these apps .. which definitely not gonna improve our English ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-7 21:09:13 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Sallywrj at 2017-2-7 21:10

School education on English is really a problem. Students are reciting the books all day but they don't actually know how to use them!
One time our foreign teacher asked students in my class "How are you?" and most of the students answered in the same way without thinking "I'm fine, thankyou. and you?" My teacher began to wonder why all the responces were same! Because the book said so and their teacher asked them to say so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-7 21:49:57 |Display all floors
Always.......

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-8 14:22:45 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.