Views: 2485|Replies: 8

New treatments proved effective to an terminally ill cancer patient [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-2-5 18:43:34 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Fllyingfish at 2017-2-5 18:44

A patient given 18 months to live has been left with no trace of the disease after being one of the first in the world to test a new wonder drug.

Bob Berry is one of just three people to take part in the trial at the hospital – and one of just 12 across the globe.

The 60-year-old was diagnosed with cancer three years ago after suffering pains in his shoulder, the Manchester Evening News reports .

Bob, from Hazel Grove in Stockport, underwent surgery to remove the tumour, but it was too late – the disease was growing and had already spread to his lymphnodes.

He was referred to The Christie, one of the largest cancer treatment centres in Europe, for treatment and soon began a gruelling course of radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

But it was unsuccessful.

Bob wasn’t responding to the drugs, and doctors told him he had around a year-and-a-half left to live.

They decided to transfer him to the hospital’s clinical trials unit, and 12 months ago Bob became one of the first people ever to be treated with the brand new drug, which can’t yet be named.

It is the first time it has been tested on humans, with the study taking place at only six centres worldwide.

It combines the drug with an immunotherapy treatment with the intention to make it more effective.

Immunotherapy treatments harness and enhance the innate powers of the immune system to fight cancer.

Dr Matthew Krebs, Bob’s consultant at The Christie, said:"The idea of this is that we stimulate Bob's immune system to recognise the cancer." So essentially it is his own body fighting off the cancer. And the doctor said Bob had an absolutely fantastic response.

Bob, who takes his great great-nieces to their ballet class every week, says the trial has extended his life.

He said: “Three years ago, I was given 12 – 18 months to live but I have already surpassed that and I feel well."

"At the end of the day, this clinical trial at The Christie has extended my life and I couldn’t be more grateful. Anyone who is offered a clinical trial should seriously consider it.”

More information: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk- ... months-live-9759969

Save

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-9 23:09:56 |Display all floors
a miracle
The darkest hour is that before the dawn.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-9 23:11:10 |Display all floors
a miracle
The darkest hour is that before the dawn.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-2-11 14:07:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-11 22:03:49 |Display all floors
But as long as scientists can't determine how this works, people use such treatments at their own risk. It remains important to differentiate between "understood" treatments and "not- understood".
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-12 09:48:24 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2017-2-11 14:07
Such "miracles" do happen sporadically. For example, the British bestseller author who wrote "Clockw ...

Writing cured cancer is a real miracle.
But the miracle new treatments have made is more of a progress.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-2-12 10:00:24 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2017-2-11 22:03
But as long as scientists can't determine how this works, people use such treatments at their own ri ...

But I think making the cancer cells more visible to immune system is really a good idea. It works as to arm the immune system so that it is more likely to win the battle against the cancer cells. The patient might therefore has more chance to live. It is a risk worth taking for those who is sentenced to death.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.