Views: 1308|Replies: 1

Professor under fire for judging female students based on on their appearance [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-24 16:10:48 |Display all floors

An outspoken Chinese professor has come under fire following a controversial blog post he authored detailing his raunchy method of judging female graduate school applicants.

"We interviewers are people too, you know. I didn't know if she was testing me or I was testing her," wrote Qiao Mu, an assistant professor at the Beijing Foreign Studies University's news broadcasting school, about one memorable female applicant with a plunging V-neckline and "heaving breasts" in a post focused around admissions and interviewing tips.

Drawing upon his decade of experience interviewing the school's postgrad applicants (who are mostly women), Qiao also revealed his order of operations in looking for an ideal candidate. "Breasts first, face second, ass third and legs fourth," he wrote. "Besides checking out their whole body when they first come in, once they sit down, you can look at the first two."

Qiao's surprisingly candid sexism left many stunned and disgusted, asking how he could possibly have been tasked with interviewing students for such a long time. However, other Chinese netizens have come to the pervy professor's defense, saying that he is merely emphasizing that first appearances matter, particularly in a competitive field like news broadcasting.

Beijing Foreign Studies University has shied away from Qiao's controversial comments, stating that they are opening up an investigation, but also emphasizing that Qiao no longer teaches students at the school following an infraction in 2014, and instead works at the library.

For his part, Qiao says that the whole thing has been blown completely out proportion. He told Sixth Tone that in the post he was merely talking about "feelings" not "official admissions standards."

“In fact, I never judge female candidates by their appearance in my interviews,” Qiao said. “I treat them with the utmost compassion and respect.”

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-24 20:47:12 |Display all floors
Well,it is society

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.