Views: 6652|Replies: 41

Lesbian mother calls on NPC members to grant unmarried women reproductive rights   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2017-1-21 11:37:24 |Display all floors

(Lesbian mother Xiao Chen sends out letters to female NPC members on Jan.17 in Shenzhen. Courtesy of Xiao Chen)

Prior to China’s parliamentary session, a lesbian mother in Shenzhen, Guangdong province called on officials to end the limitations placed on unmarried women trying to have children through assisted reproductive technology (ART).

The woman, Xiao Chen (a pseudonym), on Jan.17 sent letters to 673 female members of the National People’s Congress (NPC) to make her case.

Xiao wrote in the letters that she and her partner are currently raising twin daughters, but the couple’s dream of having a baby, which began in 2008, cost them nearly 1 million RMB to realize. Their daughters were eventually born in the U.S. after preliminary fertility work was carried out in Thailand.

“As I look at my twins, growing every day, it is increasingly clear to me that I don’t want to see women like us continue to suffer,” Xiao said.
“I hope our nation can listen to our needs and understand the dilemma facing unmarried women. I hope that you as NPC members can help change the situation … I know that you as a woman, as mothers, as those hoping to become mothers, can understand the hardship brought about by shattered dreams of legal motherhood,” she added.

China’s law on population and family planning stipulates that all citizens enjoy reproductive rights, which many LGBT activists see as a legal basis for the right of unmarried women to give birth in the Chinese mainland. However, the nation currently bans ART for unmarried women, only allowing women to utilize frozen eggs if they can provide marriage certificates and birth permits, according to regulations from the National Health and Family Planning Commission.

Xiao also suggested in her letter that single women be permitted to use sperm banks. Currently, sperm banks also require marriage certificates and other documents for female applicants, Yangcheng Evening News reported.

For unmarried women, pregnancy itself is already full of obstacles. Single mothers in China are the recipients of not only unfriendly comments and societal discrimination, but also of financial burden, as their babies come with a “social maintenance fee” -- punishment for violating family planning policies.

Some 76.7 percent of 1,062 lesbian, bisexual and transsexual women surveyed said they wanted to give birth but were unable to do so, according to a report conducted by a Guangzhou-based NGO on unmarried women’s reproductive rights in November 2016.

The report also found that over 86 percent of more than 2,800 respondents said they support the right of unmarried women to have children.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-1-21 12:15:35 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-21 13:00:21 |Display all floors
Bankster

I hate the bankster driven NWO.
I hate short hair on women.
I don't like the new format and the deletion of the "support" facility.
9/11 was an inside job.
No second plane.It was a bomb.Bomb in the other building.
You KNOW without a doubt the videos are fake,right ?!
Planes don't meld into steel and concrete buildings.They crash into them !!!!!!!
It's amazing how the building ate the plane !!!
Imagine those fragile wings cutting slots in massive steel columns !!!!!
How STUPID can they think the people are to believe that crap ??!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2017-1-21 14:48:26 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2017-1-21 13:00
Bankster

I am sure you regret living in the 21st century when women are still striving for equality and respect in many countries.
you would be better off in the 19th when women 'knew their place'.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2017-1-21 15:54:57 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-1-21 17:50:39 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2017-1-21 13:00
Bankster

Your kind of girl

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2017-1-21 17:51:59 |Display all floors
According to kgay chinses are not homosexual only Westerners

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.