Views: 3442|Replies: 10

Turkey, Most Repressive Regime in the West? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-11-18 08:38:51 |Display all floors

I like Twitter, I tweet on and off and LMAO over other tweets.

Got this off NYTimes.

Turkey's President Erdogan doesn't like tweets and  his "government and its supporters are behind a wave of demands to Twitter to remove offending posts, more than all other countries in the world put together, according to Twitter’s Transparency Report (of 20,000 Twitter accounts affected worldwide this year, 15,000 were Turkish)."

Obviuosly, President Erdogan feels threatened  by tweets, also, he doesn't like journalists and his government "has handily outstripped China as the world’s biggest jailer of journalists, according to figures compiled by the Committee to Protect Journalists."

The jailings are the most obvious example of an effort to muzzle not just the free press, but free speech generally. More than 3,000 Turks have faced charges for insulting the president, including a former Miss Turkey, Merve Buyuksarac, who posted on Instagram a satirical rewording of the country’s national anthem as if Mr. Erdogan were singing:

Count your blessings you are not a journalist in Turkey, a key NATO ally, and don't complain about China until Europe has fixed this mess up.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-18 14:11:49 |Display all floors
define 'the West'
If by 'the West' you mean any country that is not China, there are many many more countries that have more repressive regimes than Turkey.

Repressive societies are defined as exerting pervasive control over daily life, banning freedom of speech, independence in political opposition & organizations, and practicing severe human rights violations.

How many countries can you name that fill these criteria?

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-11-18 15:19:27 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-18 18:04:08 |Display all floors
Attitude of state (or society as whole) toward journalists and media in general is an important figure in determining the state of the society. It is no coincide than when one regime or another wants to overthrow the established order, TV stations are one of the first targets.

That's why in a big picture a journalist may matter more than a commoner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-18 18:30:53 |Display all floors
Please don't consider Turkey as a country from the "West". All though they would like to, they are not part of the "West". They have a complete different culture and values, as the current regime proves it.
They are part of Nato because it was at the time the only option for Turkey to be secured from an invasion of the USSR.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-19 04:27:00 |Display all floors
Jarek Post time: 2016-11-18 18:30
Please don't consider Turkey as a country from the "West". All though they would like to, they are n ...

OK, I'll bite.

What is the "West", to me, the exact definition seems nebulous and malleable and is often used as a call to arms, to take sides, to gang up on some unfortunate nation.

Is it politico-ideological, as in democracy-vs-dictatorship or republic-vs-monarchy and if so is it influenced by one's material circumstances?

Is it mainly economic modality as in capitalism-vs-communism?

Is it religion as in Christianity-vs-Islam or is the definition based on linguistic and culture?

Turkey has always aspired to be a member of the EU and has been frustrated for the last 5 decades or more. It is a moderate islamic state, it was historically an enemy of Greece and Christianity and took by force Constantinople from the Christian Romans. Its president is elected through a democratic process and Turks are "People of the Book".  Turkey has been helping USofA and by extension, the "West" to fight off ISIS.

Compare that to Japan, often touted as a member of the "West". It is culturally and linguistically as different as can be from USA. Aside from 2 brief periods, its LDP has been in power since 1955, it is buddhist and, guess what, US Treasury listed Japan as a currency manipulator, Treasury claimed Japan is acting in a manner that is inimical to USAnian interest.

Now tell me, why is Japan an honorary member of the "West" and Turkey is not?

In what way is the Turkish cultural values so different that it cannot be part of the "West"?

You tell me!

Seems to me like a lot of inherited and pre-programmed bias.

Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-19 04:28:24 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2016-11-18 14:11
define 'the West'
If by 'the West' you mean any country that is not China, there are many many more  ...

See my reply to Jarek below.
Let the dice fly high

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.