Views: 4068|Replies: 11

Has TV violence gone too far? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-11-15 13:53:54 |Display all floors
bbe8e9fe-1013-4381-adf2-1f59a4f4d585.jpeg

Lately, I have been watching The Fall, a British psychological thriller aired since 2013.
The killer has a fetish for killing beautiful women of a certain type. The very detailed, intimate and frighteningly authentic scenes are thrilling, but they also worry me.
When the killer, played by the very good-looking and sexy actor Jamie Dornan, kills someone, people make comments like, "Wow, he is so handsome!" "Good muscles" or "I wish it were me lying there."
I watched it on bilibili.com, which allows viewers to send real-time comments across the screen. I really enjoy watching shows and reading the comments, but this time, people's response to the killing kind of freaked me out.
I very much understand why people would appreciate the aestheticization of violence, and I usually have a high tolerance for it. For example, I enjoy having a meal while watching The Walking Dead (an American TV series about a world overrun by zombies) and like how the crunchy sound of my food goes well with the crunchy sound of an ax being driven into a zombie's head.
Regardless of its controversy, the aestheticization of violence has been around for ages, starting with the much detailed and unsettling church paintings of Jesus bleeding and suffering. Ultraviolent plots are in many movies, comics, novels, paintings and music, too.
Another thing that concerns me is the very detailed and graphic portrayal of violence against women in the show. As a matter of fact, it seems that violence against women, including rape and murder, is on the rise in TV shows and films these days.
While there are strong women like the policewomen in the show, there are also the victims who are beautiful, vulnerable and unable to protect themselves.
I don't like it. More women are presented as powerful on screen nowadays, and there should be more. (Though many would say the triumph of Trump in the US election is a signal of feminism going backward.)There are many good shows with very sophisticated, multi-layered female characters that I really like, for example, Alicia Florrick from The Good Wife (2009-16).
I think they should cut back on their obsession with making all the violence in shows against women.
Shows about violence, crime and the darker side of humanity can be very addictive. Once you get hooked, you can never go back to watching romance comedies. And as our appetite grows, so does our craving for more authentic plots and scenes until it reaches the point of being very disturbing, or even repulsive.
I don't know whether we have already gone too far. In the meantime, a good coping mechanism that works well for me is watching one episode of The Fall and then one hour of some lighthearted comedy to refresh my mind.
I hope there'll soon be some form of criteria to tell confused viewers like myself how far is too far when it comes to violence in films.
This article was published on the Global Times Metropolitan section Two Cents page, a space for reader submissions, including opinion, humor and satire. The ideas expressed are those of the author alone, and do not represent the position of the Global Times.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-11-15 14:04:46 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-11-15 16:22:13 |Display all floors
This coming from China strange

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-11-15 17:29:06 |Display all floors
The media always like to push the boundaries and portraying sex and violence etc attracts viewers. Sadly, however, trash TV etc appear to dumb down society with people emulating undesirable role models.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-11-15 21:05:03 |Display all floors
I think it has especially in the soaps like coronation street, emmerdale farm etc...
plus the acting is so bad it fails to make any hairs on your neck stand up..lol...
when I was back in the uk last month, I watched emmerdale farm where a woman threw her husband off a bridge which caused a 40 car pile up with multiple deaths.....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2016-11-15 21:05:24 |Display all floors
I think it has especially in the soaps like coronation street, emmerdale farm etc...
plus the acting is so bad it fails to make any hairs on your neck stand up..lol...
when I was back in the uk last month, I watched emmerdale farm where a woman threw her husband off a bridge which caused a 40 car pile up with multiple deaths.....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2016-11-15 21:46:15 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2016-11-15 21:05
plus the acting ...

Films have

Look at the Death Wish films, the first two were brill then it all went stupid

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.