Author: pnp

The Chinese Are Ashamed Of Their Chinese Names   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-7-4 07:23:41 |Display all floors
I once knew a business acquaintance who explained the circumstances of her name in her Identity Card. She was born in a small town where people are educated in Chinese. When her mother register her name, the nurse asked her mother in Malay what is the name of her child. Not able to converse well, she stammers Ah Ah. The nurse proceeded to fill the birth cert. as Wong Ah Ah.
In her grown up years, she suffers so much embarrassments as everyone laughs at her. She then adopted "Patricia" as a flower name to avoid been laughed at.

Use magic tools Report

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-7-4 08:25:40 |Display all floors
I don't think so. When a Chinese wants an English name, he thinks it more convenient for him to communicate with western friends. On the other hand, it is not easy to remember a Chinese name. When he has an activity with western friends, it helps him easily get involved. We are proud of Chinese name.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-4 08:27:05 |Display all floors
When I got married , my  wife was proud to have my name…
Obvioulsy it  was showing that she got a new status to the society.
Another reason behind this pride was named…love……
I do not believe that it would be different in other cultures…But in order to know aboutmore abut it , we would have to  ask the concerned ladies to give their opinion about it….

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2016-7-4 08:58:12 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-4 09:31:26 |Display all floors
I am an overseas chinese, and I am happy to use both my english name and my chinese name.
My chinese name is meaningless to english speakers, so I introduce myself as Edwina. To closer friends, I explain my chinese name 李立人 which expresses my parent's aspiration for me in terms of Confucius idea of establishing others in the process of establishing oneself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-4 14:54:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by msrong at 2016-7-4 14:58
pnp Post time: 2016-7-2 13:21
eExactly what I noticed too!  Why cant they just stick to their Chinese names!

Hongkongers and Taiwanese have long used western names, and very strange first names at that. Mainland Chinese are now following their examples.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-7-4 17:43:38 |Display all floors
Many Chinese I know insist I am given their 'western' names - some of which are completely inappropriate having chosen them themselves. (I have met a girl who called herself 'Richard', a 'Michael Jackson', 'Justin Beiber', 'Alien', 'Nine', 'Fish' a number of 'Candy's', an 'Adolf', 'W.C.' ...... these are the more appropriate ones)
Most of these names they have chosen by themselves, or been given by Chinese teachers.

When I ask for their names in Chinese, they refuse to give them and say 'no why' when I ask them why they won't give me their Chinese names.

It shows a lack of confidence if you can not own your name and feel you have to change it.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.