Views: 5680|Replies: 12

Will you accompany your kid to the school site of Gao Kao? [Copy link] 中文

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-6-7 13:24:54 |Display all floors
This post was edited by samlam at 2016-6-7 15:10

2016 national college entrance examsstarted this morning. Some of the parents accompanied their kids to the school siteof Gao Kao. Some parents drived their kids to the destination. Some took taxi. Nearthe school gate, parents saw their kids going into the school and didn’t wantto leave. Some parents were taking their kids’ breakfasts standing behind them andwaited for checking in. Actually, those parents whose kids are taking part inthe on-going exams have been busy with preparing something for their kids for along period like cooking good food, booking a restaurant, learning the ways tothe site of school for Gao Kao and so on. Indeed, Gao Kao tests not only kidsbut also their parents.

Is it a good thing for parents to do so much for their kids? Why doesn’ta teenager at the age of 18 do it himself? Do kids really need such parents’care? Will you accompany your kid to the school site of Gao Kao if you have?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-8 13:11:43 |Display all floors
This post was edited by mbursian at 2016-6-8 13:16

It's quite a phenomenon... I know it's a paramount event in not only the student's life, but the parents as well.  I think the presence of the parents, their insistence on particular rituals, and excessive doting only adds to the psychological pressure on the student and can be quite distracting and detrimental.

The SAT and ACT exams in the US are equally important in deciding college admissions and academic placement, however the SAT for example, only takes 3-4 hours to complete and is held 7 times annually... compared to the Gaokao which is a 9 hour examination over 2 days held once annually.

If I had a child taking the Gaokao... I would back off.  He or she would know how important it is and don't need the added pressure.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

CD top contributor in April

Post time 2016-6-8 14:12:35 |Display all floors
mbursian Post time: 2016-6-8 13:11
It's quite a phenomenon... I know it's a paramount event in not only the student's life, but the par ...

What about the students in the USA? How do they prepare for SAT or ACT?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-8 15:07:35 |Display all floors
This post was edited by mbursian at 2016-6-8 15:10

Samlam wrote:  What about the students in the USA? How do they prepare for SAT or ACT?

Preparation for the SAT is an industry in itself, much like preparation for the Gaokao.  There are study guides, books (paper and audio), DVDs, computer software and practice tests published for each section of the exam.  There are online courses one can enroll in.  There are even special SAT Preparation camps and schools.  One can hire private tutors as well.  Like I said, it's a big industry.

The exam is held 7 times a year, on the first Saturday in October, November, December, January, March, May and June.  The exams are different for each examination period... they are never repeated.

There are three major sections to the exam:
1- Writing (grammar, usage and diction) [60 minutes],
2- Mathematics (number and operations; algebra and functions; geometry; statistics, probability, and data analysis) [70 minutes],  
3- Critical Reading (vocabulary, Critical reading, and sentence-level reading) [70 minutes].

Students must be registered at least 3 weeks in advance of the test date.  The current registration fee is $54.50.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-8 20:43:23 |Display all floors
As a high school student once I think it's completely unnecessary and then after all these years I think I can understand those parents  who waited outside the door ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-9 00:17:57 |Display all floors
This post was edited by becca216 at 2016-6-9 00:22

I don't have a kid so I never think about this kind of thing. I can tell you my parents choice, NO, NEVER. My parents always told me to try my best. It doesn't matter with the scores. They have been never nervous about my scores.

Actually, I remember that the exam site is close to my home so I rode bicycle in GaoKao. However, I was a little scared by a woman who waited at the school gate. I remembered the first subject was easier to me so I finished the test early. When I went out the gate by bicycle that woman suddenly stopped me to ask how hard the test is. I was really a little scared by that woman.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-6-9 04:15:39 |Display all floors
BTW, for a large majority of parents, they don't choose to accompany their kids. There were more than 1000 exam students in the GAOKAO exam site I attended but there was less than 100 parents waiting outside. If you went to an exam site you would find out the number of parents was far less than the number of students. The waiting parents were really just a minority compared to the total figures.

For many people, they think the majority of parents chooses to accompany students just because this kind of people always gather in or near the exam sites.  They don't see those parents who are at home or still working. The gathering makes the numbers seem bigger and bigger.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.