Views: 2614|Replies: 6

English grammer [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-9-9 21:14:47 |Display all floors
I have several multiple choose, as follows. Sometimes I don't know the correct answers. Could you help me and tell me the reason why you choose it?
1. The whole family stayed in Moscow for___.
     A. an hour or two hours        B. an hour or two
2. There are few __in the fridge. Let's go and buy some peas, carrots      and cabbages.
      A. vegetables                             B. eggs
3. Which is your __subject, English, maths or Chinese?
      A. favourite                                  B. the most favourite
4. The King family__having supper now.
     A. are all                                       B. all are
5. This is the most beautiful park I have ___visited.
    A. ever                                            B. never
6. It's__nice of you to help him.
  A. true     B. truly     C. real            D.really

Please tell me the reason! Thank you!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-9 21:36:34 |Display all floors

English grammar

A. an hour or two hours B. an hour or two
Either is correct, but B is more informal and natural sounding. It's more conversational.

2. There are few __in the fridge. Let's go and buy some peas, carrots
and cabbages.
A. vegetables B. eggs
A is correct because peas, carrots and cabbages are vegetables and there are "few" (not many) in the fridge.

A. favourite B. the most favourite
A is correct. B is ungrammatical.

A. are all B. all are
Actually ,in the US we'd say The King family is having supper now.
A family is considered a singular group, like a herd of cattle or a flock of birds. So neither answer is correct. But I'm guessing your teacher wants you to use A (are all).

A. ever B. never
A is correct. You can't physically see a park you have never visited.

A. true B. truly C. real D.really
B, C and D are all correct in the US. Although "real" is somewhat ungrammatical it is acceptable in casual conversation. I think, though, that your teacher would want you to use B.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-9 21:39:58 |Display all floors

My answers fit to my ear, but my reasons may not be fully correct.

B. an hour or two
That "two" refers to "hour" is implied because it is the only thing it can refer to.

2. There are few __in the fridge. Let's go and buy some peas, carrots and cabbages.
A. vegetables
Actually, it is only the list of vegetables in the second sentence that guides the answer to A.  It's possible that someone could say "There are few eggs in the fridge.  Let's go buy [vegetables]" but it doesn't flow logically from the provided context.

A. favourite

A. are all
should be "King's" and if you don't use "all" anywhere then you must consider "family" to be singular.
"The King's family is having supper now."

A. ever
Were it an unvisited park, a better construction would be:
"This is the most beatiful park I have yet to visit."  or
"... have never been to."

B. or D. are correct, and C. can also be heard informally but it's wrong grammatically.
A. true B. truly C. real D.really

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-10 22:10:53 |Display all floors

thank you

Thank you for your help! But I still have several questions.
1. There are few __in the fridge. Let's go and buy some peas, carrots and cabbages.
You chose A. vegetables. In my memory, Vegetable is a uncountable noun. Why is it countable in this sentence?

2. Which is your __subject, English, maths or Chinese?
I also think A. favourite is right. but the standard answer is the most favorite. As I know, favorite is no superlative degree. So I don't know whether the standard answer is right or not.

You chose A. are all , why don't you choose B. all are ?

Your answer is A. ever, That means 这是我曾参观过的公园中最漂亮的一个.  If I choose B never, Can I translate it in this way  我从未参观过如此漂亮的公园.

The standar answer is A. true. So I don't know why.

Buy the way, I have another question. How to use present tense and future tense  correctly in subordinate clause? Usually in subordinate clause, we often use present tense  to show the future tense  eg. I will write to you when she tell me.  The matter that she tell me doesn't happan, but we use present tense .   Another example, I am not sure whether it will rain or not tomorrow. In this sentense, we use future tense.
I am confused.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 03:25:11 |Display all floors

Here are some ideas to help you along.

You raise good questions about the English language.

1.  Vegetable is a count noun.  I buy vegetables at the grocery store and my favorite vegetable is the tomato.

2.  It's the use of the pronoun that seems to make a difference in the use of the definate article "the" and the superlative "most."  Also, within context "favorite" implies the most-est quality, so while "most favorite" is redundant, "least favorite" is not.  Among the choices, which is your favorite?  Which is the most popular with others?

4.  My analysis of this sentence is that the word "all" is needed to reinforce the fact that "family" is plural.  Without "all," the correct form is "family is."  Until the word "are" appears in the sentence, there's no need for the word "all" because we don't know that the word "family" is used in a plural sense.  In oral English, some people will use the term "you all" for the second person plural becuase for them it distinguishes the term "you" from the second person singular form.

6.  The standard answer of "true" cannot be correct, since the -ly ending words are adverbs modifying the adjective "nice."

I don't know that much about subordinating clauses.  However, the first example ("when she tells me") is a condition to the action of calling.  The second example isn't a sentence that describes an action based on a condition described in the subordinating clause, it simply expands the reason why the speaker is "not sure."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-11 23:05:40 |Display all floors

thank you

However thank you for your help.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-9-12 02:24:50 |Display all floors

D is the correct answer to question 5

truly nice of you is awkward. realy nice of you is commonly used.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.