Views: 5827|Replies: 22

Is foul language in movies really necessary?   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor

Post time 2015-12-29 14:46:47 |Display all floors

Chinese film "Mr. Six" has debuted in Chinese theaters, portraying a middle aged former kingpin who reigned over the Beijing streets for years. But the foul language in the movie has sparked heated discussions. Foul language in movies is a very controversial subject. The people making the movies are trying to tell convincing stories with real characters and people curse in real life so to establish a realistic character persona. Do you think it is necessary for the character to use foul language? Or should bad language be banned from movies and TV shows?

2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-29 15:57:35 |Display all floors
Depending on the context and scenario in which it's used, then sure... yeah.  The language may add authenticity to a character or situation.  Overuse is uncalled for though.  A lot of American films/TV use lewd or foul language for comedy value and ratings, when it's really unnecessary.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-12-29 17:51:19 |Display all floors
It's a good point.

I do think many films and tv programs have too much foul language for what reason? I really do not know.

If you check war films made in 50's & 60's even early 70's you'd be hard pressed to find any with foul language and they were successful

It's the way of the World now.

When I first met my Wife 1969 I took her to the cinema there were two boys prob the same age as me sitting behind they swore a few times and I said 'excuse me my girlfriend can hear that'.

They said sorry and stopped swearing.

I doubt I'd say anything if it happened now unless it was unbearable

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-12-29 18:04:11 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-12-29 17:51
It's a good point.

I do think many films and tv programs have too much foul language for what reaso ...

If you complained now you would probably get stabbed....
if you want something in life get off your backside, and do it yourself!! don't rely on others to do it for you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-29 19:09:59 |Display all floors
Foul language is used by uneducated people, because they lack the education and facility to adequately describe their feelings and or emotions. That the USA promulgates the use of foul language in its varied forms of entertainment - from music to movies, should not be surprising as the US government bluntly stated it's people were too stupid, dumb, and obstinate to make the transition from the very obsolete British system of measurements to the SI (Systeme International or mks) aka metric system decades ago. It was an extraordinarily shameful thing for a government to say about its people - but the remarks passed apparently, without incident.

So, pervasive and prolific cursing is an indicator of the cultural state of a society and culture is an indicator of that society's behavior and future direction. Not a pleasant thing to say.  

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-12-29 19:52:01 |Display all floors
parcher Post time: 2015-12-29 18:04
If you complained now you would probably get stabbed....

yep and I can't run so fast now either

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-29 19:52:58 |Display all floors
mjchang Post time: 2015-12-29 19:09
Foul language is used by uneducated people, because they lack the education and facility to adequate ...

Yes we notice it on here by member Kbay. It seems natural to him but not others

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.