Author: spiderman006

Should we encourage Chinese to celebrate Christmas?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-12-29 01:58:30 |Display all floors
Break321 Post time: 2015-12-29 00:19
Ahhhh, that darn tv

Well, when in Rome.............................

Which is why I ignore the bizarre cultural expectations of my Chinese acquaintances when it comes to non-Chinese festivals.

Changing my traditional festival habits just to fit in to local expectations is not going to happen, as I would never expect a Chinese person to change how they celebrate their traditional festivals when they are in my home country.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-29 02:43:20 |Display all floors
Break321 Post time: 2015-12-29 02:01
Interesting to look at, not so much to participate?

IMO, everyone should be able to celebrate in their own way, not forced by others cultural ideas.
I don't celebrate non-Chinese festivals for the benefit of the Chinese, as I don't need to gain any 'face',

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-30 11:13:25 |Display all floors
Should we encourage Chinese to celebrate Christmas?

No.  There's no cultural value in it if it's not comprehended and accepted in its true traditional sense.

There is a lot of cultural value and significance behind traditional Chinese festivals... they are meaningless to Westerners who don't understand the significance.  It's the same for Christmas, it's origins and value to Christians.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. — Bob Dylan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-31 00:20:09 |Display all floors
I think it's a irreversible trend for us to celebrate Christmas if we don't hurry up with the promotion of Chinese traditional festivals, especially Chinese New Year. Also a symbol of family reunion, though, many people think that the atmosphere of Chinese New Year is barely sufficient. Therefore, we shouldn't go too far in celebrating Christmas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-31 18:30:57 |Display all floors
JasmineLuobo Post time: 2015-12-31 00:20
I think it's a irreversible trend for us to celebrate Christmas if we don't hurry up with the promot ...

It is the Chinese who 'promote' Christmas and other non-Chinese festivals in China.

In my experience, most of my non-Chinese friends and colleagues would prefer to celebrate quietly in their own way, but are forced to 'share' by locals, often in a way that we don't want to or like.

Exchanging cultures is all very well, but when we are forced to, any festival loses its' appeal.

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Medal Gold Medal

Post time 2015-12-31 19:37:56 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-12-31 20:02:20 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.