Author: 1584austin

New plague of childish ghosts [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2016-1-2 02:44:52 |Display all floors
I see from the previous page the western propagandists are circling their wagons.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-2 17:46:23 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2016-1-2 02:44
I see from the previous page the western propagandists are circling their wagons.

Does that include you, a propagandist from the west?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-1-2 18:11:31 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2016-1-2 17:46
Does that include you, a propagandist from the west?

If it does will it be a case of the enemy within?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2016-1-2 18:12:26 |Display all floors
petera Post time: 2016-1-1 18:56
Saul

Brown Noser has been reincarnated again as Saul.Please take action as required.

Evidence?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-1-3 08:51:26 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-12-31 18:10
Many characters are vastly altered, look at the way Guang as in Guangzhou is now written

The character alteration due to simplification is not that much a problem otherwise there would not have been so many arguments on forums between mainlanders and ppl from Taiwan/hong kong. They can exhchange curses towards each other just fine means they have no problem in understanding the other less familiar set of characters. Giving it a bit of time and exposure for familiarization, chinese from either side can easily pick up the other form of characters. There are probably only a few hundred characters are different among the several thousands the average lot are expected to pick up, and even among the different ones , many pairs actually look quite similar. Take the comparison of here, very little offensive or defensive arguments from LOCAL chinese bcoz of being impeded by language disadvantage even when others put forward deliberate ridicule of china (but I don't consider you one of such despite u may also seem to criticize china a lot. many of your comments seem sharp yet fair and factual. I believe ppl’s decency and fairness can come thru the way they say things even though I may not agree with what they say.)

The real big problem is due to the adoption of the “my hand writes what my lips speak” (我手写我口) tactic, ie the phonetic way of writing as in alphabetic languages. 100yrs back the chinese elites felt the desperate need to reform the chinese language upon western influence and kind of rushed into the change so now modern chinese writing is very different from the very elite-oriented old form which only the intellectually talented few could manage to master.  these literate few were highly respcted in the old time. 100yrs back only less than 5% of the chinese population were literate despite the long history of civilization and high respect for literacy.  I was told that literacy was less a status attribute in the west though. in the old time a rich family might simply resort to buy some literate monks to do the paper work for them. The monks were usually from poor families and they chose to become a monk so they could get fed. they learned to read and write as one of their jobs was to copy the bible.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.