Author: mixamixa

Hong Kong vs. China football match   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-20 14:46:21 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-11-20 14:08
"Wonder who gave Hong Kong democracy" ? Yes I do, who ?

"Hong Kong is having something that its n ...

Under the "One China, two systems", Hong Kong people enjoy a high degree of autonomy, and Hong Kong governed by Hong Kong people. All denied under Brit rule.

The thwarters are foreign forces and independent poodles.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 14:53:02 |Display all floors
ahthian Post time: 2015-11-20 14:46
Under the "One China, two systems", Hong Kong people enjoy a high degree of autonomy, and Hong Kon ...

Ooops...forgot, the thwarters are trying to sabotage the One country, two systems process.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 16:53:05 |Display all floors
I mentioned already in my other reply that abolishing the official status is NOT no cantonese allowed. There is no problem with dialects being spoken by the locals nor with different accented mandarin. I actually think the chinese language thrives upon the many different dialects and accents. but I must insist that cantonese should not be made official. It's official status has become the obstacle for promoting mandarin in Hk. The British needed less than 10yrs to switch the media scenes from mandarin dominant to cantonese only. Hk has been back to China for nearly 20ys,  arriving in Hk airport or crossing the border from shenzhen to Hong Kong, one can easily sense the sudden switch of language enviroment to cantonese dominant. Even English is having a better presence than China's official language.  The sensation is simply blizzard. During British's first 130yr rule in Hk, the only official language was English, that didn't kill Cantonese, why making mandarin the only official standard is taken with so much hostility? Mainland students in Hk are even under moral pressure to pick up cantonese whereas Europeans seem to be entitled to an english friendly Hk.  If cantonese can be made official in Hk, why cant shanghainese, Hakka, fujian dialects be officialized?  Why can't cantonese be made official in canton?  With all the facts and reasoning pointing to more positive outcome from adopting mandarin, why the resistance?  If needed, I can provide facts and reason regarding cantonese's backwardness and unpleasantness.  Hope can pass the verification though.

Circumstantial factors are in relative terms, some factors are temperary, eg man made social changes, and some are more long lasting, eg seasonal changes. Chinese old saying '一方水土一方人 地灵人杰 相由心生' depicts that ppl are shaped by the natural environment.  such shaping has more long lasting effect on ppl's innate ability, which is more determinant for ones adaptability and accomplishment. Judging by canton's historic record, 地灵人杰 doesn't seem to be applicable. Both HK and canton's surge was purely the outcome of recent short-term social changes. More like out of good luck. The long term outlook between a lottery winner and a self-made millionaire is most unlikely to be the same.

I came across IQ data done in 1990s showing cantonese children rank at low end and those near Beijing and the long river delta at high end. This is getting sensitive.  I know Hk ranks top of the world by COUNTRY. But if Hk is to be ranked with other cities in China, it's highly likely it won't even get into top 10. But such data probably won't get publicized.

There is scientific paper about animals living in cold and harsh environment are better at problem solving and memory. There is also data showing positive relation between winter temperature vs IQ.

Why are most poor countries in the tropical area?  Another Chinese old saying looks useful here:  生于危难死于安逸.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 16:54:24 |Display all floors
My previous reply seems lost. Will cut into several parts to find out which bit cross the line.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 16:58:15 |Display all floors
This early reply for tedbrent seems to get lost:

The mentality of counting on foreigners to coach is not much different from admitting football is really not our arena.  Despite being a defeated country, Japan has outdone most European and South American countries in terms of economic affluence after WW2.  They have also been more than willing to invest in the football sector.  Judging by outcome vs input, I don't think it looks cost effective. Racial differences is a matter of fact yet relevant discussion is still much a sensitive taboo for the sake of political correctness. Each race is unique in its own way.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:02:51 |Display all floors
We Asian probably are more apt at mental drills, while Africans can run faster, the white are better with swimming. If we can accept different skin tone per race, why can't we accept different strength per race? Just like man and woman are destined to have different strength.  East Asian's facial features are more streamlined and less prominent, and with milder body scent, do these signify anything?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:04:32 |Display all floors

China is indeed unique in many ways if to compare with the west, for a start our name and adress are in the opposite order and our language is the only non-phonic based. Such differences are destined to shape our mind and even our physic differently. I think any outsiders coming to experience living in China should learn to appreciate the uniqueness while China is also on the quest to assimilate outside influences so as to blend in the de-uniquing process of globalization.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.