Author: mixamixa

Hong Kong vs. China football match   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-11-20 17:06:22 |Display all floors

Politics is the leverage play among different interest groups. Too complicated for a common folk like me to comment on. I merely want to point out that the chinese mindset has been culturally conditioned to work from the opposite perspective from the west: The group's interest comes before the individual's.  Hk is at the touch point of such clashes, hence (Hk is part of China)  vs (Hk is not China).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:07:57 |Display all floors
From central government's perspective, any decision regarding Hk has consequences not just for Hk but the rest of China as well. U can't expect the head of the household to have the same level of perspective like the young kid of house. The kid is only expected to take care of himself but the father needs to make sure everyone is fed. Hk has had quite different exposure from China in recent history, to cultivate a similar sense of belonging like the other chinese takes time and effort. open discussion and aborting man-made barriers are in line with such effort.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:11:02 |Display all floors
This replies to newtown's 2 points

I mentioned already in my other replies that abolishing the official status is NOT no cantonese allowed. There is no problem with dialects being spoken by the locals nor with different accented mandarin. I actually think the chinese language thrives upon the many different dialects and accents. but I must insist that cantonese should not be made official. It's official status has become the obstacle for promoting mandarin in Hk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:13:01 |Display all floors

The British needed less than 10yrs to switch the media scenes from mandarin dominant to cantonese only. Hk has been back to China for nearly 20ys,  arriving in Hk airport or crossing the border from shenzhen to Hong Kong, one can easily sense the sudden switch of language enviroment to cantonese dominant. Even English is having a better presence than China's official language.  The sensation is simply blizzard.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:13:44 |Display all floors
During British's first 130yr rule in Hk, the only official language was English, that didn't kill Cantonese, why now making mandarin the only official standard is taken with so much hostility? Mainland students in Hk are even under moral pressure to pick up cantonese whereas Europeans seem to be entitled to an english friendly Hk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:15:37 |Display all floors

If cantonese can be made official in Hk, why cant shanghainese, Hakka, fujian dialects be officialized?  Why can't cantonese be made official in canton?  With all the facts and reasoning pointing to a more positive outcome from adopting mandarin, why the resistance?  If needed, I can provide facts and reason regarding cantonese's backwardness and unpleasantness.  Hope can pass the verification though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-11-20 17:16:57 |Display all floors
Circumstantial factors are in relative terms, some factors are temperary, eg man made social changes, and some are more long lasting, eg seasonal changes. Chinese old saying '一方水土一方人 地灵人杰 相由心生' depicts that ppl are shaped by the natural environment.  such shaping has more long lasting effect on ppl's innate ability, which is more determinant for ones adaptability and accomplishment.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.