Author: Mark8

Would Democracy in China Really Be that Bad?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2016-3-6 11:02:49 |Display all floors
dragon8 Post time: 2015-10-24 19:56
USA politics is corrupt.

Do not go the same way as the corrupt Americans.

Really not true.  We vote for whomever we like.  We want, we get, it' all good.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-15 05:09:44 |Display all floors
symondsez Post time: 2015-10-22 15:12
India would happen !

I love India, except the part where they trade with Russia.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-15 05:24:06 |Display all floors
leiztorc Post time: 2015-10-22 14:53
The Chinese have a different mentality.
The Europeans have a different mentality.
The Indians have ...

I would hazard the guess that the reason those countries you named don't have more of a say in those institutions is because they contribute far less than the wealthier nations of the world.
Shareholders get the say. That's economacracy (I don't now if that's a term or not. If it isn't, then it just became one).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-15 08:12:16 |Display all floors
This post was edited by exportedkiwi at 2016-5-15 08:13

How's this for an ideal politcal system? I've been thinking about it for some time now.

The Unique Spartan Political System
The Spartans were unique among Greeks because the political system they developed never quite made it to a democracy. Elsewhere kings were overthrown by an aristocratic class, which became the governing body of the Polis, and later extended democratic rights to the common people. In Sparta, however, the kings came to some kind of accommodation with the wealthy where they would give up some power in return for the continuation of their authority. This sharing of power created the stability Sparta needed to survive for six centuries.

Sparta had two kings -- hereditary kings, one from each of two families. The kings were the sole military commanders and religious leaders but nothing more. When it came to governance, they could only act as advisors to the oligarchy. Sparta had a governing council called the Gerusia consisting of twenty-eight men plus the two kings. This body advised the assembly, could veto legislation if it disapproved, and also presided over trials for capital offences. Members had to be sixty years of age and served for life. The assembly consisted of all adult Spartiates over twenty years of age – a number on the order of 5000. The assembly had limited power but was allowed to debate the merits of legislation to try and influence its passage.

There is one other component of the Spartan political system we have not mentioned – the Ephors. The creation of Ephoric office was said to have been part of the mid-seventh century reforms of Lycurgus. Five were elected by the assembly each year, and their powers were varied and extensive. They had disciplinary control over other magistrates, conducted foreign policy, and presided over the assembly and council. Their powers even included some controls over the king. For example, they could summon the kings to a meeting, fine them for bad behavior, or even recommend the king be impeached. Perhaps the Ephors most powerful role was in foreign policy, because they were to ones who met with foreign dignitaries and negotiated treaties.

What is it about the Spartans that made them carry on a model of hereditary kings and go down a path different from all of Greece.

I think that all citizens that live within a political system have to have a viable stake in it's functionality. Without that sense of 'ownership', nothing good can be achieved.
Source: http://www.mikeanderson.biz/2009 ... litical-system.html

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-16 08:50:57 |Display all floors
exportedkiwi Post time: 2016-5-15 05:24
I would hazard the guess that the reason those countries you named don't have more of a say in tho ...

That's call CAPITALISM and I support that, but then that's not democracy, so why ask China to become a democracy? Though China is becoming a CAPITALIST.

If individual say is greater than monetary say, then follow population numbers not the currency numbers. Don't think the West knows what it wants. But I won't bet on the Chinese not coming up tops whether in population say or monetary say.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-5-16 09:09:17 |Display all floors
leiztorc Post time: 2016-5-16 08:50
That's call CAPITALISM and I support that, but then that's not democracy, so why ask China to beco ...

It is capitalism. Shareholders have the say and until China becomes a larger shareholder in those institutions, it won't get as much say as many would like it to have.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-9-14 09:30:55 |Display all floors
China4Me Post time: 2016-5-15 05:09
I love India, except the part where they trade with Russia.

what is wrong in trading with Russia?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.