Author: Mark8

Would Democracy in China Really Be that Bad?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-10-25 17:52:14 |Display all floors
robert237 Post time: 2015-10-25 01:24
So you finally agree that "democracy" in the west is really a ploy to keep the common people, slav ...

I think you misunderstand the concept of feudalism where goods or service is used as a form of payment for the right to use land and protection from the owner of the land. In China the State owns the land in trust and they charge rent for the use of the land and protect those who work it. In the USA individuals can own land and they also charge rent to those who use it but do not offer protection. Not many people in the USA or China trade goods or services in cash for land use and are more likely to use forms of cash. Either way feudalism is not related to democracy which is a method of decisions by the process of voting.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 18:06:19 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2015-10-24 13:30
The sudden ousting of Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott now means the country has had five peo ...

I thought Tony Abbott was  elected as leader of his political party and subsequently replaced by voting within the political party. Unlike the USA, I wasn't aware that the public had any say in what role he would play in government/opposition once they had voted him to become an MP.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 18:10:28 |Display all floors
msrong Post time: 2015-10-24 14:19
Delusional, aren't you?  Indians complain nothing get done in the world's largest democracy.  Amer ...

Democracy is certainly not an efficient form of government.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 18:28:13 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-10-24 18:29
Would you care to elaborate, please?

In particular, what do people need to study if they want t ...
a very tiny clique that decides on who joins the Party, only Party members decide who becomes a big shot in the central government

That sounds like party politics in the UK where a relatively small number of people are party members and they try and exorcise those who rock the boat. Except that in the UK wealthy factions and individuals can legally influence political outcomes through donations and lobbying etc.
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 18:39:00 |Display all floors
So lots of Chinese kids in that 1.3 billion get to vote. Fill in the ballots at your local kindergarten ( if the toddlers can scrawl a tick or a number ).

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 18:41:56 |Display all floors
fatdragon Post time: 2015-10-25 18:06
I thought Tony Abbott was  elected as leader of his political party and subsequently replaced by v ...

The fate of President Tricky Dicky Nixon might shine a different light on that view.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-10-25 19:20:46 |Display all floors
an interesting thread. as a person who lives in the so called home of (democracy) we at the moment have a goverment in power which got into power with only 40% of the population voting for them. this means 70% did not want this goverment. i am in favour of the democratic idea. but the system of elections can be corrupted or manipulated to favour one group or individual, there are many so called democracies ruled like a dictatorships, what the answer is i am not sure. perhaps a system based on voting for  the person or party you do not wish to rule. but i i guess even that would get corrupted            

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.