Author: thestud

Changing China: the evolving Chinese dialects [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-3-24 21:46:34 |Display all floors

And...

My mom used to show me a Chaozhou dictionary when I was a kid. She told me that Chaozhou dialect has EIGHT toness, twice as much as mandarin. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-3-25 12:13:17 |Display all floors

Does anybody speak Hakka?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-14 22:40:51 |Display all floors

Daydreamer66

This following forum, "Hakka Chinese Forum at Asiawind", is a good place to meet someone who speaks Hakka:

http://www.asiawind.com/forums/list.php?f=1

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-15 01:20:07 |Display all floors

Reply: I think that Hakka sounds very similar with Cantonese.

Daydreamer,

Good to know that we are gadinan

I do not speak Hakka, but I know people speak Hakka from different regions in GD province. I have some opinions different from yours. Hakka language seems complicated, I mean, in the Hakka language, there are branches. Hakka speaked in west GD sounds more closely to Cantonese, but in the south tip of GD, around Leichou Peninsula, and in the mid-GD, around Heyuan, Longchuang, Hakka is speaked more like Chaozhou dialect. I think I sense the differences because I speak the other two, but I am not so sure if I am right because I am no expert in Hakka.

I want a Hakka to tell me more.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-15 01:24:07 |Display all floors

Reply: And...

Daydreamer,

And, when I was a kid, elder people told me the story that talented Premier Chou could manage to speak many languages but he could never understand Chaozhouhua because it was far too complicated, haha,,and Chaozhou people are proud of this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-15 11:05:50 |Display all floors

Thank you cogito:)

I have checked  "Hakka Chinese Forum at Asiawind" in your recommended website. Maybe I can invite some of the forumists there to come and share their opinion on their native dialect here:)

There is a post at Asiawind titled "How to surive our languange and preserve our culture ". By "our language", they mean Hakka.
For the past decades, Chinese people are not encouraged to move from one place to another probably due to the Hukou management. Population immobility could have contributed to the independent development of various dialects. In recent years, market development has required not only the mobility of commodities and capital, but also of labors or talents. For this reason, I think it is in vain to call for the preservation of any specific dialect.

After all, "one country one language" is beneficial to the unification of China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-4-15 11:16:50 |Display all floors

Good to see your reply, Cytheria!

You remind me of my high school teacher. She speaks both Hakka and Chaozhou dialects. And she told me that people in her hometown are bilingual because they live in a place between Hakka region and Chaozhou region. I have no idea where her hometown is, probably in the mid_GD, right? 
You are probably right. I guess Hakka dialect is divided into two branches due to geographic differences. We may learn more from the forum Cogito recommended.
Great to know that you are Gadinan Chaozhou people are hardworking and have achieved a lot in different fields, especially in business~~~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.